Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Thoughts on sock knitting

Yesterday I realized that I have gotten somewhat addicted to sock yarn. While I was waiting for a huge PDF to build, I perused various web sites' sock yarn inventory to see whether anything caught my eye. Now, it's not like I need any more sock yarn - I have enough to make at least ten pairs of socks! But there is something very appealing with sock yarn!

So what is it about sock knitting (at least for me)?
  • I love the yarns, especially Blue Moon Fiber Art's Socks that Rock and Cherry Tree Hill's Supersock.
  • I love the colors - they are just fun!
  • There's something about watching a sock grow from the cast-on circle to a full-grown sock. (I've only done cuff-down socks. Who knows what I'd think about toe-up socks!)
  • I'm still fascinated by the process of turning the heel and picking up the gussets.
  • I like having a project that is very portable.
A couple of things on the not-so-positive end:
  • I don't like to knit ribbing. I'd rather knit a pattern.
  • I shouldn't have two sock projects going that use different patterns. It's too easy for me to confuse them (at least at this stage of the game!) Knitting one sock in a pattern and one in a simple stockinette pattern is probably OK.
As you can probably guess from item two above, I've had a little problem with the socks I have in progress. LOL!

My Cedar Creek sock is fine, but I keep messing up the Jaywalker pattern. I finally got everything straightened out last night, after frogging the same row 4 times. I have now picked up the gusset stitches and am knitting the foot on the Jaywalker. As for Cedar Creek, I am now ready to start the heel.

No pictures of either one today, but maybe at the end of the week.

1 comment:

Emma said...

I totally agree with your reasons to love knitting socks. I've just recently started, but it's great fun. And my Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn arrived today, and I am super excited to get started on it.

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...