Monday, February 12, 2007

all about knitting...

...at least, that's what it feels like. I spent a lot of my weekend either knitting, or doing knitting related things.

I decided that the brown yarn (
RYC's Luxury Cotton) I was using for the arm warmers was a little floppy--it just wasn't going to be snug enough for long arm warmers. However, not wanting to waste the time I'd put in so far, I turned it into a mitten. Not just any mitten...the Peekaboo mittens from this month's MagKnits. I think these were a great alternative to the flip-top mittens -- for one thing, they are a lot faster to knit!

Here's where I am so far:

Peekaboo
The opening is on the palm-side of the mitten. You can't see it very well in this picture because the yarn is dark, but here's a close-up:Close Up
The only problem I've had so far is that the finger portion above the opening is not long enough. I have long fingers and so does my daughter -- I had to unknit the decreases because my fingers weren't covered. I'm now adding at least 4 more rows before doing the decreases again. Otherwise, the pattern is pretty straight-forward.

I restarted the arm warmers in Caron's Simply Soft yarn in a light gray:


Arm Warmer startI really like how this yarn is working up in this pattern I'm still using the Voodoo wrist warmer pattern, just making it longer.

In the knitting-related area, I updated my stash database with all of my recent yarn purchases. This is in preparation for shopping at Stitches West -- while I certainly don't mind having lots of yarn in my stash, I'd rather not buy duplicates!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Your Peekaboo mitten looks great! The color is really nice. You're not the only one who has had to adjust the length of the mitten top, some people have even had to shorten the portion that you had to lengthen! I guess it would be a weird world if everyone had the same length fingers... There's a knitalong now, if you're interested in joining! It's at peekaboomittens.blogspot.com.

marie said...

Thanks for the compliment, Megan! And thanks for letting me know about the KAL--I'll check it out!

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...