Wednesday, March 14, 2007

S.O.L. (Sock Outta Luck)...

...socks are just not working right now.

I picked up the long neglected Central Air socks from the Rockin' Sock Club last year. Wouldn't you know, I had a problem with them, too. At least this time the problem was that the counter I had in the bag had gotten separated from the knitting and I had no idea where I was in the pattern. I spent a little time trying to figure it out, but that meant tinking back a bit...since I only had about 5 rows done, I just decided it would be safer to start again. I unraveled them, rewound the balls and put them aside.

I looked at the Hydrangea socks, and said "not now."


While I'm waiting for my knitting batteries to recharge, I did a little spinning. Now, this is more like it! I'm producing stuff that actually looks like yarn—not great yarn, but it's getting better. I'm using the Corriedale Fiber Paint Box I bought from Carolina Homespun a year ago. There are 24 different colors of fiber (8 ounces total), so if I mess one up, I can start on another.

Here's what I've spun in the last 3 days:

Spinning, March 2007
Here's a close-up of the brown yarn. It's a combination of a light brown and dark brown fiber. I alternated the two colors so I could practice changing fibers.

My brown yarn
Here's a closeup of the purple yarn. I need to work more on consistency, both in spin and in the thickness of the ply.

My purple yarn
The stuff on the spindles is more evenly spun than the two yarns, so I'm improving! I really enjoy the process of spinning...it's soothing. I am so glad I took that class from Merike!

I'll get back to socks soon. But before then, I think I'll knit another
Calorimetry for the Daughter's roommate. It's a fast knit and I enjoyed doing it. Maybe that will recharge my knitting batteries!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...