Thursday, July 05, 2007

spinning wheel got to go round...

...Sirena and I spent the 4th of July spinning Yarn Wench wool top (well, not the whole day, but most of the afternoon and evening).

I finished up the first bobbin of Lupines and Poppies. This bobbin holds approximately half of the roving.

Lupines and Poppies on bobbin
I haven't quite decided whether I am going to do a two-ply yarn or a three-ply with this yarn. I considered Navajo plying this bobbin before spinning the rest of it. However, I was getting a little tired of the Merino—I find that it is slow to spin because I have to be very careful to keep enough twist in the single. I've adjusted things several times to improve the spin and have (I think) the best settings for this, but it's still slow going.

I decided to give myself a break and try a different type of wool. Apricot Cinder was calling me, so I started a bobbin of that. Whoa! That spins fast! Here's what I did yesterday evening (sorry for the fuzzy picture. I need to find a better place to take pictures of stuff on the wheel):

Apricot Cinder
The Falkland so much different than the Merino! I prepped them both the same way by pre-dafting a lengthwise strip, but the Falkland spins a lot smoother. I'm not having any problems getting a thin single, although it is a tiny bit thicker than the Merino. I love the way the colors are coming out. It's too bad there was only one of these, because I'd really like to make something other than socks out of this.

I am mostly ignoring my Tide Walker socks. However, I have been researching shawls and scarves on the Internet. Maybe the Walking on the Wild Tide yarn wants to be a shawl...

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...