Monday, October 29, 2007

Getting my quilt-groove on...

...lately it's been all about knitting and spinning. My quilting (and other crafts) have been neglected. Occasionally, I'll pick up a cross stitch piece, but it no longer has the allure that it once did.

My quilting mojo was jump-started by Pacific international Quilt Festival. I had all that wonderful Christmas fabric calling my name and I succumbed on Saturday. I had a pretty good Idea what I wanted to do with it. (Pattern? I don't need no stinkin' pattern!) This is what I accomplished on Saturday afternoon:

Christmas Wall Hanging (in porcess)

I want to add one more border to make this wall hanging just a little bigger. However, I did not have enough of the color I want to use. So, that meant a quick trip to Eddie's Quilting Bee on Sunday. While it was nice to visit their new store, they didn't have much n the way of Christmas fabrics. Rats! Guess I'll have to make a midweek trip to The Granary (that will break my heart...LOL!) If they don't have what I want, then it's on-line shopping for me.

I also have a couple of other quilt things in mind, but they may have to wait until after the holidays. I have the Dia dle los Muertos quilt kit that I bought as festival...

Dia de los Muertos panel


...and this Laurel Burch Mermaid panel that I want to make into a wall hanging.

Laurel Burch Mermaid panel

The weekend wasn't all about quilting, though.

There was knitting: still doing the decreases on the Poppy socks. It took all of my will power not to wind the new Rockin' Sock Club yarn and cast on for more socks. I absolutely love this color! And the whole Raven thing? Well, let's just say I have a serious obsession about Edgar Allan Poe...

October Rockin' Sock Club: Lenore

There was also spinning: When Jane visited on Thursday, I used a Yarn Wench BFL called Splendor 2 to demonstrate spinning on a wheel. On Sunday, I spun up about a third of the 4.3 ounce roving in a slightly thicker single--I want to try for a worsted weight yarn.

Splendor single

The BFL has a different feel and it took me a while to get used to it, but I like spinning with it so far.

My plan this week is to continue with the Poppy socks and work on my secret Christmas projects. Onward!


3 comments:

Knit - R - Done said...

The yarn looks great. I love spinning BFL. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

marie said...

Thanks! I really like the way the colors are changing in this colorway--Yarn Wench dyes some beautiful colors. I love the feel of the BFL single and I'll definitely buy more BFL roving in the future.

Anonymous said...

Ah! Knitting, a new yarn kit, spinning and quilting - sounds like an absolutely wonderful weekend! I've seen pics of that Raven yarn around, kinda wish I was back in the club :( Terry

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...