Friday, February 08, 2008

Eye Candy Friday misc...

...I finished the Josie yarn, but it's a little, shall we say, "energized"? On the average, it's a little thinner than I have been spinning so when I plied it, I put too much spin in it. I'm hoping it will relax some after its bath.

So for what it's worth, here's Josie:

Josie yarn

and the dime shot:
Josie yarn, closeup


The Specs:
Finished 02/06/2008
Yarn Wench
Falkland Wool roving (4.1 oz) in Josie
Spun half by spindle and half by wheel; plied on Lendrum Folding wheel

Navajo-ply, yield: 337 yds.

Weight:
17 WPI average, Fingering

So that's another WIP that comes off of my list of things to finish this year. One long-standing project that has been hibernating for some time is a cross stitch mermaid. I haven't even looked at this project for a while, so I pulled it out of its cover this morning. This is the Queen Mermaid pattern from Mirabilia.

Queen Mermaid WIP

As you can see, I have only done part of the bottom. If you click on the picture and look at the bigger version, you can see the yellow threads I basted in to mark the middle. I always start from the middle and work outwards. In the larger version, you can also see empty spaces where crystals or beads will be sewn.

This is the third Mirabilia mermaid that I have done. There are two finished ones hanging in my bedroom. I have finished "Deepest Love" and "Waiting for Ships." So far, "Waiting for Ships" is my favorite:

Waiting for Ships

Up this weekend: continue working on the Lenore socks and the needlepoint picture; pick up the leg warmers again and make some progress. Now that Josie is off the wheel, I need to work on one of the other yarns that are in process...maybe the Angora Cottage Merino Silk. I haven't touched that in a while!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! "Josie" is really gorgeous. What a wonderful spinning job you did! And amazingly, you still have time for beautifully, complex cross-stitch :) Terry

marie said...

Thanks! I'm glad I swapped over to the wheel so I could finish Josie. I learned a lot about spinning thin on the wheel.

I wish I had more time to spend on cross stitch; the Queen Mermaid has been in this state for at least 4 years! This level of cross stitch is time-consuming and can be a bit disheartening--you can spend 3 hours stitching on a piece and it doesn't look like you've done much. I'd love to get back to her, though. I'd forgotten how beautiful she is.

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...