Monday, June 09, 2008

making progress, albeit slowly...

...there is never enough time in a weekend to do all of the things I'd like to do.

As planned, I worked on the Crossover Top and the doggie sweater. The top is turning out very cute:

Crossover Top as of 6/8

I finished knitting the right front. I joined the fronts to the back at the shoulders. I am now knitting the sleeves (both at once). When they're done, I'll attach the sleeves, sew up the sides, and add the edging. The yarn has a lot more lavender and mint green that the pictures show, but the sweater is looking a bit feminine.

Now the doggie sweater is proving a bit challenging, mostly because I don't have a suitable fitting model available. (Although Sombra is pretty close to the recipient's size, her majesty will not be caught dead wearing something intended for a mere dog...)

Dog sweater in progress

I think the neck is too small and the shoulders are too wide for Papi. I'm thinking about pulling out part of the neck ribbing to make it looser around the neck. Hmmm, guess he'll have to try it on before I go further.

I also spent some quality time with Sirena. I have spun about half of the 4.2 ounces and I really like how the colors are flowing. AND I think I found the perfect thing to make with the resulting yarn—the Morning Surf scarf on the cover of the latest Spin-Off magazine. I received my copy on Saturday and fell in love with the pattern. I think the Mermaid yarn will be perfect for it.

For a change, I managed to watch all three of the movies I ordered from Netflix. Usually I get through two at the most, so this was a treat. I watched "Juno" on my own; the Husband and I watched "No Country for Old Men" and "Into the Wild" together. They were all good, with
"No Country for Old Men" being stranger than I expected from the Coen brothers. Now I like the Coen brothers, but I also like things to have a real ending (no, I did not like the way the last episode of the Sopranos played out...). So it bugs me when the movie leaves me with a "that's it?!?!" ending. Wrong!

Oh, and to my classmates from Coast Joint Union High School class of 1968: Happy 40th! (can you believe it!) Here's a reminder of how we all looked then (and, yes, Jane, I have a large one for you!):

Class of 1968

That's me at the end of the second row from the bottom, looking like I was dozing. I was really trying to keep the sun out of my eyes as we were facing the Pacific as the sun was setting. Our graduation ceremony was at Hearst Castle.

Our gym had been condemned because it did not meet the earthquake standards so we couldn't hold commencement there. Someone stepped in and arranged for us to have commencement at the Castle, just a few miles away. This picture was taken during our rehearsal. Behind us is the guest house that we used to get ready. We had the ceremony on this stairway with our guests seated in front of us and held a receiving line around the Neptune pool. Aside from being a cool place to have our graduation ceremony we also got the added perk of a private tour. All in all a great experience! )I'll be uploading more pictures to my Flickr account as I get them scanned.)

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...