Monday, September 15, 2008

Here's comes Monday again...

...work has lightened up a little, but I'm still not done with my project.

After finishing the baby cardigan on Saturday, I took a look at the projects in my queue. I couldn't decide which socks to start, so I started a wrap. This is the Sea Foam Scarf pattern from "Ocean Breezes: Knitted Scarves Inspired by the Sea":

Sea Foam Wrap, in progress

Now, I have several scarfs, many of which I don't wear, so I really didn't want another one to hang on my door. I really wanted to make this a wrap. After reviewing other people's versions of this on Ravelry, I found one where the knitter used the same yarn, but cast on an extra 10 stitches for an additional pattern repeat. When she blocked it out, it made a nice sized wrap. That's what I wanted and I did the same thing.

You may notice that this pattern looks very similar to Mermaid's Morning Surf...you're right! The main difference is that Morning Surf uses 12 rows to complete each pattern; Sea Foam uses 8 rows. Somehow I find the 8 rows easier to track than the 12. Another difference is that the needle size for Morning Surf is smaller (5US) than Sea Foam (9US). These seemingly minor differences mean that I'm enjoying the knitting of Sea Foam more than Morning Surf. It's making me consider frogging Morning Surf and reknitting it with larger needles.

I also made some progress on the Silk Waves Scarf. It's now 46 inches long and I still have a bunch of yarn to use. But it's pretty and purple and very soft! I won't post any more pictures of this until it's done.

I feel the urge to knit another pair f socks...and now that I have not spun in 3 weeks, I'm getting the urge to work on my spinning WIPs. We'll see which one wins!

2 comments:

Just Jane said...

Is this yarn that you spun?? If so....you really should note that! Yes.....still waiting!

marie said...

Oops...forgot to list which yarn I'm using! This is Brooks Farm Duet that I bought at Stitches 2008. It's a two-ply yarn: one ply is wool the other is mohair. The color reminded me of sea foam so...

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...