Tuesday, February 17, 2009

pretend this is a Monday post...

...I was totally engrossed in a craft project yesterday and didn't get done until late!

Overall it was a very good weekend.


For Valentine's Day, the husband and I decided we'd rather spend the money on a nice dinner at home than at a restaurant. I made us a nice dinner of steak (for me)and Tombo Tuna (for him), with baked potatoes (in the oven, not the microwave!) with sour cream and our own home-grown chives. Some fresh cauliflower and a salad rounded out the meaI. For dessert, I made some dark chocolate dipped strawberries and served them with whipped cream. That and a bottle of champagne, YUMMY!

The rain pretty much kept me indoors, so I was able to work on both the scarf and my socks. However, I did not finish either one. Instead, I finished spinning Dragonfly Wings:

Dragonfly Wings yarn

and the close up...

Dragonfly Wings yarn, close up

Specs:
Finished 2/15/09
Merino-silk top by The Yarn Wench
Spun and plied on Lendrum DT folding wheel
Yards: 536+ yard of 2-ply
WPI: 15 average

It felt good to finish this one. I'm not too sure about the way the colors fell on this one and I think it's too loosely plied in some places. In hindsight, I think I should have done a Navajo-ply to bring out the individual colors.

The project that consumed me yesterday was this:

Purple Tote bag

a new tote bag in purples! All it's missing is the perfect button.

Purple Tote bag, top

Specs:
Started and finished 2/16/09
Fabrics purchased at Eddie's Quilting Bee:
-- Mirror Ball Dot by M. E. Hordyszynski for Michael Miller
-- Fairy Frost by M. E. Hordyszynski for Michael Miller
-- Marbled fabric by ?? (need to look this up...)
Pattern: Craft Bag Kwik Sew 3464

I modified the size of the inside pockets to be larger:

Purple Tote Bag, inside

The only drawbacks are that I should have made the handles a bit longer than the pattern specified and the bag is a bit floppy. (I put a shoe box inside the bag for these pictures.) Unlike the previous tote bag pattern I used, this pattern was easy to follow and the illustrations really enhanced each step.

I have some of the Mirror Ball dot fabric left, so I may just make a drawstring bag to match!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...