Monday, May 18, 2009

running on empty...

...a little insomnia mixed with no electricity yesterday is not a great combination. I'm skipping Knit Night tonight so I can catch up a bit.

Except for the insomnia hangover on Saturday, it was a pretty good day. It was really hot, but I still managed to steam my floors and get a few things done. Then I spun this most of the day:

Blood Orange BFL top

Yeah, it's a new project. (told ya!) This is Blood Orange BFL top from Sakina Needles. I'm spinning a little thicker than I usually do, so I finished both bobbins...about 2 ounces of fiber on each.

Blood Orange BFL singles

I also finished bobbin #1 of Purr-ple and started bobbin #2. This one's a bit thinner:

Bobbin #1 Purr-ple

When my hands got tired of spinning, I did a few rows on the Stranded Hearts socks...

Stranded Hearts socks

...and a few rows on the Under the Sea sock.

Under the Sea socks

Sunday started as a normal day. I went to the grocery store for the week's supplies and planned on making this great hot-weather dinner—Mustard Chicken Waldorf Salad. We had a quick lunch and I starting spinning more of the Blood Orange top. I out in a DVD (Slumdog Millionaire) and was enjoying the movie and the spinning when the power went out. Arg! When it didn't come back right away, I moved my wheel outside and set up my iPod and speakers. I spun and enjoyed the music.

A couple of hours the power came back on and I moved back into the house to finish watching my movie. RIght at a crucial point, the power went out again! This time it stayed off for 12 hours. I spun as long as I could see well and then put the wheel away.

The husband broke out the battery powered lights and we read until it was time for bed...it was just too dark to knit (rats!). Oh, and dinner? it was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Because it was so hot, I didn't want to open the fridge and let out the cold air...I had just bought all those groceries and didn't want things to go bad. I decided to wait until tonight to make the salad.

I found it very hard to sleep because I kept expecting the power to come back on any minute. I had turned off every switch that was obviously on, but I couldn't everything. Sure enough, the TV in the bedroom blared on at 4:15 AM. But it didn't wake me...I was already awake. The cats, on the other hand, weren't thrilled!

Not exactly what I planned for the weekend!

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...