Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Today's WIP: weaver...

...yup. I'm my latest Work In Progress. Weaving is sucking me into its vortex. (No comments about me already being somewhat warped, because now I really am!)

Loom perspective

I have a lot of new terminology and techniques to learn before I can call myself a Weaver (with a capital W). It will take some practice to get into the rhythm of it, too. But I've already discovered a big plus with weaving. Read on...

I occasionally get migraines...not big, honking ones that take away your vision and require hours in the dark and away from noise. I get migraines that start with ocular distortions that progress into nausea, and then the huge TMJ/sinus/throbbing/almost fever headache hits. They usually last the day and I am more or less functional while they last. Sometimes they go on for a couple of days and no amount of Excedrin (Tylenol is totally useless), coffee, and compresses alleviate the throbbing. Concentration is pretty much nil, which means no knitting, computer, reading, etc.

Well, I had a two-day migraine that started Sunday morning when I woke up. While it was still in the beginning stages, I did my errands so I could stay put when the bad part hit. When I got home, I popped more Excedrin and watched a movie. But I was antsy...I needed to do something; I just can't sit with nothing for my hands to do. I knew there was no way I could knit any of the socks I have on the needles because they all have patterns that need concentration and half a brain.

Enter weaving. If I take my time, I can warp the loom for a simple woven project. And I can weave, because it's a very simple process for a basic weave. No complex pattern (at least not yet!) to worry about, just putting the shuttle through and a gentle beat with the reed. I can totally do this with a headache! Yay!

Anyway, I haven't made significant progress on the socks. I have two more rows on the Eleanor de Plume socks and then I can start the heel. I tried on the Under the Sea socks and I think I'm going to knit another half inch before I try the heel. Keep your fingers crossed—these are the toe-up socks and I'm trying hard not to fail this time!

Here's what's blooming now:

Squash (Gourd?) Blossom

The Husband thinks (hopes) this is a squash. If it's not a squash, it could be a gourd of some kind. We won't know until we see some actual fruit!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...