Monday, August 17, 2009

Mondays...

...always follow Sundays far too quickly.

I spent Saturday doing some chores and then reading. I received the most recent book in Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series on Friday (Swallowing Darkness) and couldn't put it down until I finished it! There were many negative reviews about this book on Amazon and I understand why they reviewed it as they did. While it might not be the best book in the series, I still enjoyed it (obviously, since I finished it in a day!)

Note: If you're thinking of reading this series, be aware that it is fantasy (the fae, faeries, trolls, ...) and there are lots of very "explicit" scenes, if you get my drift.

Anyway, once I finished the book, there wasn't enough time to warp my loom, so I did a little knitting. I am now concentrating on finishing the Eleanor de Plume socks because they are closest to "done."

The Husband was gone on Sunday so I took the opportunity to mop the floors. (When he's home and working in the garden, he's in and out of the house all the time so there's no point in mopping.) After doing my grocery run, I had the rest of the day for weaving.

I warped the loom with a Dream In Color Baby yarn in Deep Seaflower. The weft is a Dream in Color Classy yarn in the same color. This will be another shawl, but I wanted to try out a couple of things.

First, I wanted to try out my new shuttle. This is my new Le Clerc slim boat shuttle. I love the feel of the wood and it slides very nicely.

Le Clerc boat shuttle

Then I wanted to use a 3-1 lace pattern from the "Textures and Patterns for the Rigid Heddle Loom" book. After working with them for a bit, I decided neither one was working well.

I think the shuttle will work better when I get a stand for the loom. Right now, the loom is a little too tilted to use the shuttle easily. It slides through nicely and the yarn feeds well, it's just a little awkward.

As for the pattern, I think the weft is a little thick for it and the warp a little too stretchy. I left a pattern at the start of the shawl which I will repeat when I get to the end.

Here's what it looks like right now:

Dream in Color Shawl, in progress

I'm going to pull out part of this and reweave it with a stick shuttle so it's more consistent. I'll put the boat shuttle aside until I get the stand or work on a narrower project (like a scarf or place mats).

On a side note...I noticed that of my five weaving projects, four have had blue in them. I think I need to branch out to another color. LOL! Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Just Jane said...

Perhaps Purple, Going Green, RAH for RED.....

marie said...

LOL!

Red is a possibility; green not so much, only because I don't have a lot of green in the stash.

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...