Monday, November 16, 2009

cruising along until I hit a detour...

...I was all prepped and ready to go to Spin-In on Saturday when life happened. Nothing we can't handle, I just needed to be home for the afternoon. Oh, well. I have the biscotti I made to take to Spin-In as consolation! :-)

Speaking of baking, my oven worked great for the biscotti! They were perfectly done. (Yes!) I do have to be careful with the microwave because it is more powerful than the old one. Chocolate does not take as long to melt, so I have to reduce the amount of time to avoid having it seize on me (ask me how I know...).

One thing about staying home unexpectedly was that I got a lot of cleaning done. I got all of the vacuuming done, did my kitchen floor, and dusted everything on the wall unit! I went through all the junk mail and did the shredding. And I prepped a load of stuff for the Husband to take to Goodwill. My kitchen is pretty much back together, except for one drawer that is still being reworked, and my dining room table is back in its place.  I still need to finish the Daughter's room, but I have another week for that.

On the weaving front, I finished all of the twisted fringe for the River Rocked Shawl, washed it, and blocked it. It needs a little steam press, but I'm calling this puppy done!

River Rocked Shawl

Close up:

River Rocked Shawl, close up

Specs:
Started: 10/13/09
Finished 11/14/09
Warp: Rowan Purelife Organic Wool in Onion; 10epi—95”L x 19.25”W; approx 520 yds
Weft: Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Socks That Rock in River Rocked; 8-9ppi; approx 304 yds
Finished size: To be measured
Basic weaves, with a row of Leno lace at row 21 and at row 3; repeated on the other end.

The edges are a little wavy at the Leno lace transitions, so I need to work on that. Overall though, I'm happy with the way it turned out. Woo hoo! I finished something!

The only other craft thing I worked on was the mermaid. She's getting close now. I'm finishing up the second arm and then I need to finish her treasure box and the final strands of seaweed. After that, it's back-stitching...ugh!

1 comment:

Just Jane said...

that came out beautiful...what an artist you are!!! but YOU know that! Sounds like you made great progress on becoming "settled" again, which must be a great feeling before the holiday "rush" ahead.....I have to do that Saturday, plan on a whirlwind day of cleaning and babyproofing before we have 16 here for Thanksgiving, including a 2 year old, who is very curious about things! Between him and my little one, should be interesting!!

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...