Monday, March 15, 2010

best laid plans...

...well, I thought I knew what I was going to do this weekend, but things changed a little

First off, I didn't finish straightening up the Daughter's room, although I did get a few things cleared out of there. I still need to move the stitchery stand and a couple of things on the floor. Al least, some progress was made and she can now sleep in there!

I did not touch the craft room. I still need some serious floor space in there, but  it's just going to have to wait.

I did manage to get the loom warped for my friend's scarf and I have started weaving it. It's turning out nicely, but I find I get a little tired of the bouclé yarn sticking together and have to stop.

I had hoped to finish the Midnite Lava Flow yarn, but not quite. I finished spinning bobbin #2 and started plying it. I have about half of the first bobbin plied and still have to ply the second bobbin. I didn't realize how thin I was spinning it, so the plying will take a while. It's a good thing I decided to Navajo-ply it. Two-ply would take forever!

One thing I hadn't planned on doing was going through some old papers. Like many people, we have boxes of "stuff" that we've accumulated over the years. Because we don't have a garage, ours lives in an off-site storage facility. The Husband was taking a few things to storage ad I suggested that he bring back a few boxes for me to look through. 

Well, when we opened one, it was old bedding that had seen better days...not even good enough for Goodwill! So that's trash. We found an old printer and a bunch of unknown cables that will go to the recycling center when we get a chance. There's a box of school papers that the Daughter can go through when she gets home. 

The real gem/bear is the box of taxes and paperwork from 1977, 1978, and the early 80s. Now on the surface, it seems like I should just shred it and be done with it. But, 1977-1980 were when I was still with my ex and the Daughter was born in 1978. Also, my ex did all of the bookkeeping and pretty much kept it all to himself--I had no involvement in our finances mostly not through my choice. I wanted to go through it to make sure there weren't things that would be important.

Most of it was shredding, but I found a few items that I wanted to keep. I found the lifetime guarantee and the paperwork for the insulation we installed in the house in 1972. Gee, you think that would have been filed with the other house papers... I found my OB bills and the hospital bills for when the Daughter was born.  One thing I found that would have been incredibly useful when the Daughter was in school was the dates of her immunizations. I knew I had it somewhere...how it ended up in the tax folder, I'll never understand!

Anyway, I shredded about two large garbage bags full of paper and I haven't made much of a dent in the box. It's amazing how much room shredded checks take up!

No crafts to show today, but look what we found in the garden over the weekend....fava beans!

Fava Bean

They still have a lot of growing to do, but they are looking good so far! 

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...