Thursday, April 01, 2010

this is not an April Fool's Day post...

...just thought I'd get that out of the way!

So here it is Thursday, the second week in a row where my posts have been haphazard. I do not want this to become a habit, but sometimes work and life just get in the way.

I hit the ground running on Monday after taking the Daughter to the airport. Originally, my work project was due at the end of Monday, but it was extended when additional tasks were added to it.

On Tuesday, the Husband left early to go to San Francisco for business, While I was getting myself together for work, he called from the freeway—the car had broken down and wouldn't run. (Hello, Triple A?) I waited around to see whether he needed to be picked up (he ended up renting a car) and I got into work late. Goody...that's in late two days in a row!

So I work madly away trying to finish the project by the end of the day. You know there were more changes, right? I did as much as I could while I waited for a final piece of information. When I got home, the Husband was understandably frazzled, but we did manage to talk about the dead car and how much money we were willing to put into it to get it running again.

On Wednesday, I was finally able to get all the pieces of the work project completed and delivered by the end of the day...at least the end of my day, which was 7:00pm.

The garage checked out the car and called with the bad news. The car needs a new engine, which will cost more than twice what the car is worth. I declared the car IDJ (It's Dead, Jim) and told them that we would probably be donating it. When I got home, the Husband and I agreed that donating it was the right thing to do since neither one of us wanted to pay someone to junk the car.

This morning, the Husband called a donation company and they took it away. We are now the proud owners of a donation slip that is worth far more than a car that doesn't run!

So that's my week so far...how's yours? 

Oh, yeah, the weekend report! I finished knitting the prototype cap and decided that it wasn't tall enough. Here's the prototype (excuse the weirdly shaped model...I don't have a wig stand to use):

Short Cap, prototype

I decided that the yarn for the prototype was too thick for the design. I visited Uncommon Threads and Purlescence Yarns and bought some thinner yarn as candidates for the actual cap. At Uncommon Threads, I bought some Cashsoft 4-ply (fingering weight; 57% wool, 33% microfiber and 10% cashmere) and at Purlescence, I bought Panda Silk (DK weight, 52% bamboo, 43% Machine washable Merino wool, 5% combed silk).

I decided that the Panda Silk DK would work best and knit the revised pattern. I like the way it came out:

Short Cap, final design

Top view (wonkiness courtesy of the lame head model):

Short Cap, top view

Specs:
Started: 03/37/10
Finished: 03/28/10
Yarn: Panda Silk (DK) from Crystal Palace Yarns; black
Needles: (2) 7US circulars
About 5.5 inches high (I need to measure the circumference)

I have a couple of edits to make and then I think the pattern is good to go. I will send it to the friend who requested it and then decide whether I should do a wider distribution.

Oh, I also got some weaving time on the bouclĂ©  scarf...it's now about 10 inches long. Only 60 more inches to go! LOL!

And finally, my Rockin' Sock Club installment for March arrived in the midst of all this crazy. I like the yarn colors and the two sock patterns look interesting. I was pleasantly surprised to see that one of the patterns was written by my Stitches West spinning teacher (Janel Laidman). I'd like it a lot better if they were cuff down socks, though! Anyway the package picture is behind the spoiler image:


Whew! That's enough for now...

1 comment:

Just Jane said...

adorable cap!! For whom did you design this? you've really begun to become a "designer" haven't you...in ALL YOUR SPARE TIME!! keep up the great work...looks very cool!

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...sky-style. Mom's house has a great view out of the back yard. It is not unusual to see a layer of fog in the morning. Headin...