Monday, September 27, 2010

really not enjoying the heat...

...it's the end of September. I'd like Fall now. 'K? Thnx!

I did manage to make some headway to head off the dust bunnies, although not as much as I wanted. We don't have air conditioning in our house, so doing chores during the day is not pleasant. It was 90F on both Saturday and Sunday. Too hot to vacuum! I managed to get some dusting done and finished the laundry before it got too bad.

When it's that hot, knitting isn't really appealing. I managed to get one row knit on the Mochaberry Brambles socks but didn't want to do much more than that. I tired doing some cross stitch, but the needle got very sticky from the heat. Since I can't wash this piece because of the overdyed floss, I gave that up pretty quickly.

The only thing that kept my attention was spinning. I know, it sounds like it would be hot playing with fiber, but the chunks I'm spinning with are small enough where they didn't make the heat worse. I was able to spin 4 ounces of a merino-bamboo top that I bought from Royale Hare at Stitches West.

Arch Rock Evening, ready to ply

It has a lot of gray and black in it, which gives it a lot of contrast. I might make this one a two-ply, but I'll let it rest a bit before I decide.

I've been trying out some core spinning techniques, but haven't been happy with the results. My yarn is way over-spun and would be impossible to work with.  I found this video showing "core-less" core spinning and I decided to see whether that made any difference.



It's a pretty cool technique, but I still have too much twist in the yarn. Guess I need to practice more!
 

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...