Friday, October 22, 2010

Eye Candy Friday, catching up again...

...wow, where to begin. It's been a whirlwind of activity in the last week!  So, let's start with the most important thing first.

The Daughter successfully defended her dissertation and can now be called "Dr!" We were so excited to be able to watch her presentation to her committee and be there for  this milestone. We'll go back for the graduation ceremony next May, but for now she can put PhD after her name! Our new doctor, celebrating her achievement (picture courtesy of her roommate):


So, how about a few pictures to catch up with Eye Candy Friday?

While we were in Baltimore, we went back to the American Visionary Art Museum to see the newest exhibit and to visit our favorite piece of outside art, the Cosmic Galaxy Egg:

Cosmic Galaxy Egg, revisited

This time, I got some good close-ups of the mosaics.

Mosaic detail #1

Mosaic Detail #2

This museum has mosaics on the outside walls and on the stairways inside. Sometimes, you encounter a mosaic piece in an odd place, like this one in a garden:

Garden Mosaic

A street separates the back of the museum and Federal Hill, which we had not seen yet. As we went around the building to climb Federal Hill, we saw this piece of art installed on the side of a building:

Golden Hand

I wonder if they hang an ornament from it for Christmas...

Last time we were in Baltimore, I missed going to A Good Yarn because they were closed on Sunday. I made it a point to go this time. It's a cute little store. I caught them at a low stock point and the selection was limited, but I found a wonderful hand-dyed yarn that will make a nice warp for a shawl:

La Perfecta yarn


Unfortunately, the dyer did not include a name on the hang-tag so I don't know who dyed this and I didn't get an answer to my question about the dyer's name.

And in the mail when I returned from Baltimore was my first installment of the Pro-Verbial Club! I chose the fiber option, so I got the pattern and 4-ounces of fiber. You can see it behind the spoiler picture:


Whew!

Up this weekend: catching up with some sleep and chores. We have only one car for the weekend, so it might be a bit difficult to go out and do something on my own. (Although, truly, after being gone for 5 days, staying home sounds really good to me...) I'd love to get some spinning done, but I'll have to see how it goes!
 

1 comment:

Just Jane said...

Shauna looks SO HAPPY!! Give her more hugs and Congrats this weekend, hope she has a blast at the reunion, with NOTHING hanging over her head anymore..........WAY COOL!!!!!!!! PARTY ON! Talk to ya Tuesday, my aunt is almost here from Georgia.....maybe 15-20 minutes away!!

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...