Monday, November 01, 2010

Happy November...

...guess that means I need to do a recap post soon!

First off, let me put some more healing and calming vibes into the Universe for my friend Jane who is having surgery today. Everyone think good thoughts!

My weekend report: I spent a good deal of Saturday cleaning out the closet in the Daughter's room. I managed to find a home in my craft armoire for most of my aromatherapy and soap supplies. It was a good thing I went through it as all of my base oils had gone bad. It had been too long since I last made any scrubs and they were pretty bad. One plastic bottle split as I was moving it into a basket so that was a little mess to clean up.  A lot of my herbs that were in plastic bags were goners, too.  I'm not as concerned about the herbs in plastic containers because I use them as additives to my soap. They are more for the exfoliating properties than scent - I depend on the essential oils for that. Anyway, the things I haven't found new homes for are the labeling supplies and containers. They are a little bulky.

There were a lot of paper supplies and music CDs in her room that can be stored. I set aside 2 bankers boxes of that. I think eventually I will have to add another bookcase to my room so I can remove the magazines (knitting, quilting, cross stitch) from hers. I decided not to do a lot or rearranging until she moves home as she might have some ideas of how she wants the room rearranged. For now, it was important to make room in her closet so I can remount the closet pole for her to use.

I spent the rest of Saturday working on my neglected needlepoint project, Turquoise Trail. It took me 3 hours to get the Neon Rays Ribbon sections done...what a pain that was!

Sunday was shopping day, I went to the grocery store and bought the ingredients for lasagna, one last bag of candy, and cat food. I made a quick trip to Michael's to check out the Halloween stuff on sale and went to the quilt store to buy blades for my rotary cutter. (A little Christmas fabric might have jumped into my hands, too...LOL!)

I hadn't made lasagna in a while and I had forgotten how long that took to put together. I make a meat sauce from scratch so that takes some time. Also, I like to pre-cook the noodles halfway before assembling. This time I defrosted some frozen, chopped spinach and that took extra time to squeeze out the excess water before adding to the casserole. A lot of ricotta, some shredded mozzarella, provolone, asiago, jack, and cheddar cheese rounded out the lasagna. It turned out yummy!

I had purchased two small pumpkins a week ago and decided I wanted to carve at least one. So after I finished assembling the lasagna, I carved a pumpkin. Here's what greeted our trick-or-treaters last night:

Jack-o-lantern

Not a stellar pumpkin by any means (or picture for that matter), but at least I carved one, unlike the last *mumble* years! I found a flickering battery-powered light for 50% off at Michael's and put that inside instead of a candle.

I worked on the Mochaberry Brambles socks in between trick-or-treaters. I'm at a point with these socks where it was easy put them down and then pick them back up again without losing my place. A good choice when you are being interrupted by the doorbell!
 

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...