Monday, February 21, 2011

Stitches West 2011 recap...

...great class...great shopping...great time!

I bought a lot of great fiber from my favorite SW vendors (Royale Hare, Miss Babs, Lisa Souza, Judy's Novelty Wool) and from a couple of new-to-me vendors (Sunshine YarnsA Verb for Keeping Warm). Like last year, I didn't concentrate on buying yarn, but I did buy enough to weave two wraps.

Thursday was my big shopping day, with additional purchases on Friday and Sunday. For the first time, I did not attend all four days of the market. I really didn't feel like fighting the Saturday crowds and since I'd already bought fiber, I wasn't in a crushing rush to get back to the market. I figured, if I didn't buy anything on Sunday, that was OK. I really wanted to be there for the prize drawing on Sunday, so I made that my goal. I didn't win, but I managed to buy something after all. LOL!

I was lured into the magic of Brooks Farm again. I have made one wrap out of their yarn that was a joy to weave and is gorgeous. Armed with the new knowledge I gained in my weaving class, I picked a variegated Mas-Acero yarn for warp and a more solid colored Acero for weft. At another booth, I found a similar colored yarn with silver from Piedmont Yarns that I'll add to the weft. I'm going to stash dive for additional warp yarns to jazz up the warp.

Mas Acero Yarn  NY8

Acero yarn, SW 4

Skyline Hand-dyed yarn

In addition to yarn shopping on Sunday, I made a few charitable donations. A few months ago, a friend asked me to design a lacey skullcap pattern for her to knit and then wear during her chemo sessions. I had the prototype hat (which were not her colors) and a black one, plus a garter-stitch pink-and-white cotton hat. I donated all three to the Halos of Hope charity. I know my friend will be pleased that her prototype hats will be used by others undergoing cancer treatment.

I stopped my the Mother Bear Project booth and bought one of their little bears. The proceeds go to help defer the mailing costs of the bears.

Mother Bear mini

Ali McGraw was at the market, autographing the Ali's Hat pattern, which helps the Wildlife Emergency Response Fund. I figured that I had missed it because the autograph session happened while I was in class on Friday. I was pleasantly surprised to find her signing patterns again on Sunday. I bought the pattern and the yarn, and then got her autograph. She was incredibly nice and made the experience very personal. Very cool...

Ali's Cap kit

I have now taken pictures of all my purchases. I've edited them, uploaded them to Flickr, and added them to my Ravelry stash. Whew! I have a couple of other additions to make, but I can deal with those later. 

It's back to work tomorrow...after my 5-day weekend, it will be hard to get back in the swing of things!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...