Thursday, June 02, 2011

Hello, blog...

....(hello, hello.) How'd things go for you today?
Did you miss me since I upped and walked away?

Yeah, it's been a while. A week of vacation and then catching up with work after that kept me pretty busy.  But, I'm here, sort of...it might take me a bit to get back in the groove!

We had a quick trip to Baltimore to see the Daughter graduate. The Convocation, where she was hooded, was a 3+ hour ceremony because every masters graduate (read: 700) had to go first. Then came the 104 doctorate students. I have to say, they did keep the speeches to a minimum, so most of the time was spent on the graduates. Technically, she's had her PhD since October, but now she's completely done.

Our daughter, the Dr. in her Harry Potter-esque cap, gown, and hood:

Hooded!

We did a bit of celebrating while we were there and will probably have some sort of celebration on this coast eventually.

I managed to get a little knitting done on the trip, but not enough that you can tell there is progress.  When we returned home, I decided that I wanted to finish something this month and concentrated on spinning.  I managed to finish two yarns.

First, the Iris yak-merino yarn I started at May's Spin-In:

Iris Yak-Mernio Yarn

and the close-up:

Iris Yak-Merino yarn, close up

Specs:
4 oz. Yak-Merino top from Abstract Fiber;
Started 5/21/11;
Finished 5/30/11;
240 yds 2-ply, 15-16 WPI

And the Wisteria Angora-Merino yarn that's been waiting for plying:

Wisteria Angora-Merino yarn

and the close-up:

Wisteria Angora-Merino yarn, close up

Specs:
2 oz. Angora-Merino top from Tactile, A Fiber Arts Studio;
Started: 5/7/09 on Spindlewood square spindle;
Finished 5/30/11 on wheel;
1 skein: 100.5 yds Navajo-plied, 16 WPI;
1 skein: 52 yds Navajo-plied, 14 WPI

Of the two, the Yak-Merino was more fun to spin. The angora blend is a little too soft for me and very sticky.  I had a lot of problems with semi-felting of the top after leaving it in a bag for too long, making the spinning a pain. I also had a lot of problems trying to ply it because the singles kept getting caught on the bobbin. It's loosely plied in some areas, but I'm just glad it's done. I'll know next time that Angora is not my favorite to spin!

I'll post a recap as soon as I can. And I some pictures for an Eye Candy Friday tomorrow!
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...