Monday, July 18, 2011

Tour de Fleece, days 14, 15, & 16...

...my hands and shoulders are sore. It's a good thing that today is a rest day!

Day 14: I finished hand-sewing the quilt binding (yay!), but it didn't leave me much time for spinning. I did manage to finish the singles for Forest Afternoon and then crashed on the couch.

One thing that brightened my day was the arrival of my Pro-Verbial Fiber club installment. I'm not much of a pink person, but the combination of fibers and pattern are really intriguing.

Pro-Verbial Spoiler pic

Day 15: Originally, I had planned on plying Forest Afternoon, but a Hanks in the Hood batt (Bainbridge Island) was calling my name. I decided to spin it bulky and ply both yarns on Sunday, About an hour into spinning Bainbridge Island, I decided it was a good thing that I was spinning bulky--it would have taken me forever to spin it thin as I was fighting the fibers all the way. I spun the fiber on to two bobbins so I do a 2-ply.

Day 16: After my grocery run a and couple of chores, I put the plying head on the wheel and started chain-plying Forest Afternoon. I love how it turned out:

Forest Afternoon handspun

and the close-up:

Forest Afternoon handspun, close-up

Specs:
Started 7/10/11
Finished 7/17/11
Merino-Bamboo-Silk (4 oz) from Miss Babss
238.2 yds, chain-ply, 14 WPI

Then I plied Bainbridge Island. Again, I was happy that I chose a 2-ply for this fiber. It's a little energized, but not too much:

Bainbridge Island handspun

and the close-up:

Bainbridge Island handspun, close-up

Specs:
Started 7/16/11
Finished 7/17/11
Bainbridge Island, 75% merino, 25% bamboo with sparkle by Hanks in the Hood from KnitPicks
135.8 yds 2-ply, 10 WPI

Tour de Fleece accomplishments so far:
  • 20.1 ounces spun
  • 4 chain-ply, 1 2-ply
  • 1054.3 yds total
  • WPI are 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14 (how I did that I have no idea!)
  • We have visited  a lagoon, a meadow, a redwood, a forest, and an island. It's been a good trip so far!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...