Tuesday, August 02, 2011

it's August...

...and I've already gone off-track! Monday just flew right by and it's looking like Tuesday is going to follow!

On to the weekend report: On Saturday, I had the itch to weave. I had an idea of what I wanted to do and then I walked into my craft room. Oh, yeah...it was a disaster in there. Between the quilt that I finished and the stash diving for Tour de Fleece, things were seriously out of place. Since I don't have a lot of room in my room, I needed to put things away before I could even try to find the stuff I wanted for weaving.

A couple of hours later, I did a little stash diving and came up with this:

Warp ingredients


I'm using the technique I learned in my Stitches West class: multiple yarns and colors for the warp and a solid color for the weft.

Some of the warp yarns I've had quite a while, like the pink ladder yarn. Some are new like the Piedmont Yarn Skyline in Berry with the sparkles. I pulled a rayon yarn out of a necklace kit that I was never going to make. It will be a pain to work with, but the addition of the shine and color will be worth it.

For the weft, I'm using one of my favorite weaving yarns, Mas Acero from Brooks Farm. Here's one view of the warp and weft together:

Beginning of the new shawl


And up close:

Mas y Mas shawl


I'm calling the shawl "Mas y Mas," Mas Acero and more. :)

On Sunday, I visited the new location of Purlescence Yarns. OMG, their new space is awesome! There is so much room...I love that the weaving and spinning area has lots of space where you can move around and feel comfortable trying out the wheels and looms. I also like the layout of the yarn area. It's like a library for yarn! I bought a few skeins of yarn for weaving, one bump of Crown Mountain Farms fiber in purples (big surprise), and a book on spinning art yarns, something I've been wanting to try.

After that, I wove a little and did the hemstitching on the shawl and then broke out the Beets Go On socks [Ravelry]. I know...I'm knitting socks again! I'm almost back to the point where I was when I had to frog them. It feels good to be knitting socks again.

Tonight is Craft Night. We've had a little break while our hosts were on vacation. That means I'll get to work on Turquoise Trail again. Someday I might actually finish it!
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...