Wednesday, June 06, 2012

WIP-it Wednesday, studio update...

...it's getting there.

The floor still has a few places that need caulking, but it was done enough that we could move furniture in.  I moved all of the remaining furniture in my old sewing room into the studio. Not everything is in its right place yet (assuming I've figured out where they are!).

After mopping the floor, we moved all of the teak bookcases into the old sewing room. There was enough room left in there to move in the organ. Yay! While it won't be a guest room anytime soon, it's a good temporary storage area. Anyway, I still haven't emptied the closet in there.

Once the organ was out of the studio, we determined that the IKEA shelving unit I chose would fit. I also decided to rearrange the white cube units and make a work area next to the sewing table:

Studio progress 6/4/12

I have some tweaking to do to deal with the power to the sewing machine. The power strip cord currently runs in front of the storage cabinets, making it difficult to open the bottom drawers. I think we have a solution for that, but I need to try it out.

I bought two more cubes as I decided that I still needed a rolling cart under the sewing machine cabinet. Since I wasn't going to pay $600+ for the Horn Cabinet version, I made my own. I did a little cube swapping and now have a configuration that will work for now. Here's a view from behind the table:

Sewing table plus cube units

One big issue is where to put the TV, cable box, DVD player, and their mass of cables so I can watch movies. So far, we don't have a good solution.

On Sunday, we made our trip to IKEA. Note to self: Never go to IKEA on a Sunday afternoon. There are lots of screaming kids running up and down the aisles while their parents/caregivers shop. My mom would have never let me do that when I was a kid and I certainly didn't let my kid do that!

Anyway...We decided that the Expedit shelves in beech would work well in the space and should hold a lot of fabric. We also scoped out the table and desk tops. We found a desk top that is a good size for my work table. At $70 with a nice beech finish, it was an easy sell. One less thing for the Husband to paint!

I also looked at the Stuva benches for fiber storage, but they were too short. The CD/DVD organizers I want to use for the smaller cuts of fabric were out of stock in beech, so we have to wait on them. It's probably just as well. Until we get the Expedit unit in place, I won't know how much more space I'll need for fabric.

Our IKEA stuff is still in boxes until the Husband and I have time to put it together.

Expedit shelves-to-be

I'm working on organizing my supplies in the alcove and in the rolling carts I've created to fit under its shelf. This could take a while!

Getting closer and closer...
.


No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...