Friday, July 13, 2012

Eye candy Friday, vacation-style...

...it's day 2 of vacation, but first the eye candy picture.  These flowers are plants in a container in our atrium, which I can see through the studio window:

Looks like summer

Day 1 of vacation was a shopping day. My goal was to buy some items from the Container Store and buy fabric to recover the fabric drawers in my studio. 
  • Container Store: I wanted a cart to fit between the washer and dryer. They had one, but it was too rickety—I was really disappointed. They did have the cord covers, cedar blocks, and foldable clothes rack I wanted, so it wasn't a wasted trip.
  • I found the fabric I wanted at Eddie's Quilting Bee and successfully avoided buying anything extra.
After doing my Tour de Fleece spinning, I worked on re-covering my sewing chair and making a couple of pillows for my spinning chair.  Here's the chair:

New sewing chair cover

and the pillows:

New pillows

I think I need to tweak the cover for the chair back because I'm not completely happy the way it hangs down to the seat. I might add some elastic so it snugs up a bit.

The fabric was a gift from a co-worker. There are 3 pieces, two of which I used for the chair and the pillows. The third piece is big enough for both bench cushions, which I have yet to start.

Day 2 (today) was all about apricots. Our apricot tree was overflowing. Even though the birds and squirrels have been having a field day, there are still more apricots than I can eat by myself. I had picked some apricots on earlier in the week and put them in the fridge. I decided it was time to harvest the tree and do something with the apricots. Here's what I picked today:

Apricot harvest, 7/13

After a quick trip to the store for sugar, I canned apricot halves (4 quarts plus 5 pints) and 7 pints of preserves. No pix yet as they are still cooling.

Up this weekend: Spin-In tomorrow. I'm making an Apricot Galette to take. I'll probably freeze some of the apricots for the Daughter, who requested them.

For the studio, I'll start working on the decoupaging the photo boxes so they will have plenty of time to dry.  Beyond that, whatever I can get done will be a bonus.

OK, I'm off to make my dinner and then do my Tour de Fleece spinning. I need to clear a bobbin for Spin-In tomorrow!

I love vacation!
.

1 comment:

Elf said...

Amazing how some matching cushions and chair cover can tie things together.

A while back I think you talked about organizing your thread and I don't remember seeing a photo of that--I always loved thread (so many colors! all neatly wound up on spools!) so I'm curious how you do yours.

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...