Monday, July 23, 2012

What I did on my summer vacation...

...not nearly as much as I wanted! Between being more tired than I thought when vacation started and projects taking longer than expected, I didn't get as close to "done" as I planned.

It took me a couple of days to really get rolling on my tasks. I am not a person to take naps as I just can't sleep during the day. Well, I actually took naps the first couple of days of vacation.

Here's the list of what I did and did not accomplish.
  1. Move all of the extra boxes out of my studio and unpack the last box.
    Done!
  2. Deal with the apricots (this was an unplanned task)
    Finished: Canned some apricot halves in light syrup, made apricot preserves, made an apricot galette for Spin-In, and gave a large grocery bag of apricots to a friend.
  3. Call UPS to pick up the broken bench to return to the manufacturer once I had the label
    Done!
  4. Buy and install IKEA Anno Amorf panels to hide the washer and dryer
    Finished: I bought everything I needed

    Just as I was getting ready to install them, Home Depot called to say our sink cabinet had arrived. Because the panels are right next to where the cabinet goes, I did not want to take any chances that they might be damaged while they wrestle the cabinet in place and do the plumbing. The blinds are much safer in their little boxes until the cabinet and plumbing is done!
  5. Buy some items at the Container Store
    • Rolling cart to fit between the washer and dryer: Did not buy because it was too rickety.
    • Folding X-shaped clothing rack to replace our old rolling one: Done
    • Cord tamer for the TV/cable box/ DVD: Done, but I don't like it because it is too stiff. Trying to decide what to do about that.
  6. Decoupage 20 photo boxes, 2 wine boxes, and 5 magazine holders
    Finished: 9 photo boxes and 2 wine boxes
    This project took way longer than I expected. I had to let the boxes dry over night, carefully trim off any excess paper (PITA), spray them with a sealer, and let them dry again. Oh, and make labels for them.

    And I thought painting might take to long. [insert raspberry here]
  7. Buy and make fabric drawer covers (28)
    Done!

    I'm still trying to figure out some sort of handle for them that does not require more fabric. For one thing, I bought the end of the bolt and don't think I can get any more of that fabric. For another, making my own fabric handles might involve making tubes...I hate sewing tubes!

    Re-covered boxes and fabric drawers
     
  8. Make a chair cover for my rolling chair, 2 bench covers, and some extra throw pillows
    Finished: Covered 1 large and 1 small throw
  9. Return the beautiful turquoise and brown wrapping paper to Cost Plus
    Finished: I returned 6 of the 8 rolls I bought. I kept 2 because I love the paper so much. :)
  10. Purchase a gift and attend a bridal shower for one of my "kids."
    Done!
  11. Spinning:
    • Spin every day for Tour de Fleece: Well, I spun most days. I took 4 rest days instead of 2...oh, well.
    • Attend Spin-In: Done!
    • Identify and photograph the fiber I'll spin during the Ravellenic Games: Done!

Tour de Fleece 2012 spinning


Now that I'm back to work, the remaining items on my to-do list will have to wait until the weekend.

Vacations are never long enough!
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...