Thursday, August 30, 2012

where the heck did August go...

...it feels like it just started and now it's almost over??

Normally I'm all over September, it being my birthday month and all. I like to celebrate as long as I can. :) However, this September is a little different.  Over the past few months my vision has been getting worse, making it difficult to do some crafty things, like knitting, and making it almost impossible to do others, like stitching and needlepoint. Even worse, it's becoming difficult to read text on the computer screen, which I need to do for work.

Now, it's not unexpected...I knew I had cataracts in both eyes and at some point I'd need to do something about them. Well, I've reached that point for my right eye. So in September, I'm going to have my eyes measured (or whatever they call it), go to my pre-op class, have cataract surgery on my right eye, and go to my post-op visit. Then I'll have to get new contacts or glasses for the vision change. So September will be filled with trips to Kaiser and the optometrist. Not my normal birthday month activities of shopping, crafting, and whatever sounds fun.

I'm not gonna lie, though. It's really scary to think about what they are going to do to my eye. But even scarier is the thought of not being able to work or do the things I love.

Until I have the surgery, I'm using the accessibility tools built-in to the computer and popping up the point size of the text display so I can see it better. And I can still see well enough to spin and weave.

I've been itching to weave something for the last month, so I decided to start a new project. Over the last two evenings, I warped my loom for a new shawl. When I reorganized my yarn stash, I found some Blue Heron yarn that I purchased at Stitches West 2011.

Blueberry Rayon Metallic yarn

I have 2 skeins (550 yds. each) of this rayon-metallic yarn in Blueberry. I used a full skein for the warp. I haven't decided yet whether I want to add some Leno or other lace sections to the shawl or just do a plain weave. I think I'll just weave a couple of inches and do my hemstitching before I decide.

So far, it's making me happy—I love the colors and the sparkly bits are fun to look at!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...