Tuesday, October 16, 2012

another finished project...

...I'm on a roll!

On Saturday, I finished all of the cushions for the storage benches in my studio.  These benches flank my quilt wall.

Left bench:

Storage bench 1
Right bench:

Storage bench 2

I started with four 24x24x2-inch foam from Jo-Ann. My bench seats are 48x15, so I cut the foam down to 24x14x2. Then I glued them together to make two 48x14x2 cushions. I covered each cushion with two layers of batting and then made the cushion covers to fit. They have a Velcro closure so I can easily remove the covered to be cleaned.

I had these four leftover pieces of foam and I had leftover fabric, so I turned them into cushion backs for the benches. Because I was running out of fabric, I did not cover them in batting before making the covers, nor did I use Velcro closures. I just whip stitched them together.

I had to piece the covers for two of the benches with another color of the fabric. You can't see it in the pictures, but two of the cushions have a lighter panel on the back.

After finishing the benches, I basted the Jungle Songs quilt. (I'll show a WIP picture tomorrow.)

On Sunday, I went to Pacific International Quilt Festival. There were gorgeous quilts on display and I took several pictures. I'll post some for Eye Candy Friday. I did buy a little fabric and a couple of patterns.

My big score was a storage box for my Fasturn tool set. I bought these years ago and really hated the clamshell storage "container" that they came in--it kept popping open, dumping all the tubes on the floor. They now have a nice box that snaps closed. Love it!

After a quick trip to the grocery store, I spent the afternoon machine quilting Jungle Songs.  I''ve done about a third of the quilt, mostly stitch-in-the-ditch. The center panel and larger squares will take a lot of time to quilt, so I'm trying to get the simple stuff done first.

I feel really good about finishing things. Happy to be Workin' Down The WIPs [Ravelry]!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...