Tuesday, December 04, 2012

weekend report...

...I baked. :) What, you want more details?

On Saturday, I did my Smart and Final run to buy flour, sugar, chocolate chips, butter, and other baking supplies that I need in large quantities.  Then I did my Safeway run to buy most everything else. I say most, because I didn't realize that we were perilously close to running out of canola oil.

Now what I consider being close to "out" is probably not your "close." I only had  1.5 cups of oil left. I needed a whole, large bottle.

Yup.

When I make double batches of Almond Fruitcake and Pumpkin Bread, and one batch of Lemon Bread, I need lots of oil. I made 24 mini-bundt fruitcakes, 19 mini-loaves of pumpkin bread, and 6 mini-loaves of lemon bread. I still need to make another batch of Lemon Bread and some Gingerbread loaves. The Husband went to the store for me and brought home 2 large bottles of canola oil. (Thanks, J!)

That was Saturday. On Sunday, I started making the cookie dough that must be chilled before it can be baked.  Now chilling in the refrigerator:
  1. Mexican Wedding Cookies (double-batch)
  2. Sugar Cookies (double-batch). I will use the snowflake and other cookie cutters for this one.
  3. Chocolate Cookies. I will use the cookie cutters on this batch, too.
  4. Spumoni Slices
  5. Pistachio Pinwheels
  6. Chocolate-Coffee Ribbons
I'd forgotten what a pain the Chocolate-Coffee Ribbons are to assemble. The six layers are thin and not easy to peel off of the wax paper. Next time, I'll use the Spumoni Slices basic dough as a starting point. It is still a soft dough, but not nearly as difficult to work with.

While I was making cookie dough, our Beef Stew dinner was cooking in the crock pot. Let me say it again: I love the crock pot! Dinner was hot and filling; the clean up was pretty easy.

I didn't have much time to work on my crafts. I'm still burying threads for the Jungle Songs quilt, but I'm about 80% there. Maybe I can finish that task this week if I work on it a little every night. (In my dreams, maybe!)
.


No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...