Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Random Tuesday...

...or Catch-up Tuesday, if you prefer. The short story: dinner was great and the weekend was productive.

First, our dinner at Cascal om Friday was yummy!! The sangria was a good as I remembered and the flan was extraordinary. The rest of the meal (black bean soup with sherry, mushroom empanadas, chile relleno, Spanish flatbreads, tacquitos) was great, too, and the company even better.  We discussed going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in a couple of weeks, so I have that trip to look forward. I should be able to walk better by then.

The Husband had a few activities that kept him out of the house for a good part of the weekend. After doing a few chores, I spend most of my weekend in the studio.  Saturday was devoted to laundry and finishing a couple of stitching projects.

Originally, I just wanted to finish the small embroidery project I'd started last Mother's Day. I knew there was just a little stitching to do. When I finished the stitching, I searched for the framing materials that came with the kit and found another cross-stitch project that was about 75% done. Hmmm. I didn't even remember stitching on it.

First I framed the embroidery piece:

Oriental Dragonfly

Then I finished stitching the cross stitch piece and framed it, modifying the framing materials that came with the kit. The only saving grace to finishing this UFO was that it was small!

A Captured Moment

Next I photographed these finished projects and some fiber and yarn stash so I could upload it to Ravelry.
I also made a quick trip to Jo-Ann to buy the beads for Celestarium ( Twist Collective [Ravelry]).

After doing my grocery run on Sunday, I wound the yarn for Celestarium. I found the needles and a crochet hook that I needed for the project and placed the beads in a shallow, screw-top container. I read through the instructions and admired the project pictures one more time.

I attempted to do the circular beaded cast-on using the tutorial in the instructions. Fail.

After trying a couple of more times, I searched for a video that showed how to do the cast-on. That was more of a success, but the video was designed for an even number of cast-on stitches, not an odd number, which the pattern needs. After messing with it a bit more, I finally got a decent cast-on and started knitting the project.

LOVE. IT.

I had to go up a size in with the crochet hook because the 0.75mm size shreds my yarn when it pulls through the bead. I still have a slight shredding problem with the 0.85mm hook, but I can't go much larger with the hook size and still get it through the bead. But I love the way the shawl is shaping up and I'm very happy with the color I chose. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Oh, and here's the picture of the anniversary flowers that the Husband gave me:

Anniversary flowers

That's a pretty neat vase, right?
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...