Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Stitches West report, finally...

...yeah, I know it's Wednesday and I haven't posted since Friday. It's been a busy week so far.

The short story: I went to Stitches West all four days. I bought cool stuff. I saw many friends. I had a great weaving class and came away with a completed project. I won a door prize. My broken toe survived!

The purchases:


1. Warwick Shawl pattern and Knitted Wit Shine yarn; 2. Watermelon Slice Socks kit from Knitters Brewing Company; Cream yarn from Valley Yarns; 4. Light Teal yarn from Vally Yarns; 5. Teal yarn from Valley Yarns; 6. Navajo Churro top from Ranch of the Oaks; 7. Merino-Silk batt from Greenwood Fiberworks; 8. Camel-Silk top from Greenwood Fiberworks; 9. Milk Silk from Greenwood Fiberworks; 10. my badge; 11. Merino-silk top from ,Wonderland Dyeworks; 12. Merino-tencel Gradient top from Purl Up and Dye (Purlescence Yarns); 13. Llama-Camel-Silk top from Knitifacts;
14. Alpaca-merino top from Ranch of the Oaks; 15 Alpaca toy from Ranch of the Oaks; 16 Thera-gloves; 17. Lo-Lo bars from Bar-Maids; 18. Ultra fine super long blocking wires from Inspinknitty; 19. Sheep and knitting fabric from Williams Wool & Weavings.  Not Shown: Alpaca Yarn from Amazing Yarns; door prize from Desert Designs Knitz

The long story:

I've already written about Thursday and Friday (see this post).

Our class on Saturday was great! We learned how to warp the rigid heddle loom for a log cabin pattern and then how to handle the two colors of weft. Both my friend Loretta and I finished our scarves by the end of class. While it's not quite a completed project because I need to wash it and trim the fringe, it's very close.  I'll post a picture once I've washed, trimmed, and pressed it.

Loretta and I decided to try to shop during our long lunch break, but it was a zoo on the market floor. We looked a couple of booths, but just couldn't handle the crowds, especially those with those d@mn rolling carts that they dragged behind them like big tails. I almost tripped over those things multiple times. We both decided we'd had enough and escaped to the calm and quiet classroom.  Loretta wove during her lunch break and I worked on my shawl.

Although the class was great, it was exhausting to weave for 6 hours. By the time we were done, Loretta was ready to go home. I went into the market and went right back out again. It was not as busy, but I didn't have the brain cells to deal with it.

When I got home, I saw a Facebook post from my friend Janice, telling me that I'd won a door prize. I hadn't decided whether to go back on Sunday and was leaning towards skipping it...after that post, I decided to go back. My door prize (no picture yet) was a pair of socks from Desert Designs Knitz.

Sunday morning can be a good time to talk to vendors as the show is winding down and there aren't many shoppers yet. I saw a lovely alpaca wrap(?) on a rigid heddle loom in the Amazing Yarns (Redwood City, CA) booth that I had somehow missed in my previous 3 market visits. It was done in creams and tans, using a log cabin border. It was so soft. I chatted with the vendor about how well the alpaca held up as warp (very well, apparently). I bought one skein of  cream alpaca to use as warp in a project I've been planning.  I also discovered that she teaches personal classes in weaving and that she is willing to teach one in creating double-width fabric on the rigid heddle loom. Yay! Put that on the list of future classes to take!

The rest of my Sunday was spent in chores and grocery shopping. Mostly I was getting my house in order to have my Craft Night group over last night. That spilled over into Monday night and I did the final straightening. I think it when well. There was enough room for all of us and the lighting seemed to work. My studio is now christened and I hope to have many more gatherings there.

Tired, but happy at this point....it's been go-go-go since Thursday. I'm ready for a quiet evening.
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...