Tuesday, February 19, 2013

top-of-the-waves Tuesday...

...AKA another picture-less post.

It was a long weekend and not just because it was a holiday on Monday. I'm taking a new medication, which decided that Saturday was a good day to mess with me. I woke up not feeling right and everything that I ate or drank gave me heartburn. Yuck.  As a result, I didn't get much of anything done on Saturday except a little knitting.

Sunday was a little better. I went to the grocery store to get ingredients for dinner. I threw everything in the crock pot and went into the studio. I got a little spinning done and then moved onto the shawl.

I finished Chart E and knit the increase row. Somewhere along the way I ended up with an extra stitch (probably forgot one of the many K2tog). While I couldn't exactly figure out where the error occurred, I determined that it had to be the last quarter of Chart E2 as I had been pretty Type A about counting every section until about then. Since it did not affect the bead placement, I skipped one of the M1s in the increase row to make the stitch count correct. Back on track now and being very anal about counting each chart section!

I did a little stash diving to find the yard for my weaving class. I have a couple of candidate, but I'm not totally in love with them. I might have to add "class yarn" to my shopping list for the Stitches West preview on Thursday night.

By Monday, I was feeling more normal, so I did a little straightening up and some dusting. In the studio, I made a dust cover for my sewing machine using the last scraps of the upholstery fabric I used for the bench cushions. It's not the best thing I ever sewed, but it's decent and it's functional. I did a little reorganization of my fibers and found some wonderful merino-silk tops I totally forgotten. They are now in my storage benches where I can get to them easily.

I knit a couple of more rounds on the shawl. I'm ready to start round 107 (of 157). And I still have not finished the first ball of yarn! Kind of amazing since this shawl is supposed to use 1200 yards of yarn and each of my skeins is 400 yards.  It's probably my row gauge, but I'm not really worried. It's a shawl...if it's not big enough for my tastes when I complete the rounds, I'll adjust by making the edging wider.

I've been trying to come up with a better name for it than Velvet Celestarium. When I created my Ravelry project, I picked a name based on the yarn color's name of Velvet Damson because I couldn't think of a name someone else hadn't already used. A few that I've been auditioning:
  • Something Like the Stars - take on the title of my favorite Robert Frost poem
  • Gather the Stars - from a Sandburg poem
  • Silver Night - I'm using silver-lined beads for the stars
  • Diamonds in the Sky - Rhianna song (yeah, not my favorite)
I mentioned this to the Husband who has a definite flare for the punny and twisted. His suggestion:
Lacy in the Sky with Diamonds

Yup, he's a keeper!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...