Tuesday, March 19, 2013

top-of-the-waves Tuesday...

...not as busy as last week, thank goodness!

Spin-In on Saturday was productive. We were spinning the Jacob bump in our Spin-In sampler. I took some Corriedale fiber to share and someone else brought some BFL and South African wool to share. So now we have more samples to spin!  When I finished the singles for the Jacob fiber, I started a Camel-Silk top from Greenwood Fiberworks. It is a lovely, soft top and spins easily.

Sunday was taken up my errands, laundry, and cleaning. I did manage to research more lace edgings and found the bird's eye edging in a free shawl pattern. I printed it out and set it aside for after dinner. I managed to knit two rows on the shawl before I had to stop.

After dinner, I found some spare yarn in roughly the same weight as the shawl yarn. I started knitting the first border repeat and it became apparent that I was not able to follow the written instructions for the edging. Part of the problem is that one of the instructions wasn't completely clear. Another problem for me was that there was no chart. I find that I have the best success when I have both the written instructions and a chart.

On Monday, I searched for an edging chart on the Internet and finally found one. I started the sample again and this time it worked!  See:

Bird's Eye Lace Edging, audition

This is one pattern repeat: the pin at the bottom holds the point of the border and the pins at the top hold the section that will be joined with the shawl.  I need to do several more so I can see how the repeats fit together. I think this will work, but I'm waiting until I can see more of the pattern. (And, yes, this is not the best color for this edging, but

Progress!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...