Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Yes, I'm still here...

...it's been a busy week!

We had our company holiday party on Saturday. That pretty much sucked up my Friday evening and my entire Saturday. But, it was worth it!

I might have mentioned before that our company holds its holiday (insert your favorite winter holiday here) party in March or April because many of our clients need things completed by the end of the year and many employees take vacation in December. As a result, if we want staff to attend a party, we have it at off-times.

We also pick a theme every year. This year's theme was an homage to the president's comment about the Jedi mind meld. Our theme: When Universes Collide...Trek Wars! People were invited to bring food that reflected universes of any kind colliding.  You can see pictures of some dishes in my Flickr set...some were quite creative!

My entry? I made chocolate cookies decorated as Star Trek redshirts (if you are not into Star Trek: Starfleet security personnel wear red shirts and frequently die during episodes). Some cookies were decorated as zombies.

Zombie Trek cookies

This zombie redshirt lost his head (we could go for a triple whammy by naming him Ned Stark from Game of Thrones...Game of Zombie Trek?)

Zombie Trek 2

and some were vampires:

Vampire Trek cookie

Here's the entire army of darkness:

Red Shirts!

It was both a blast and a pain to decorate these cookies. (Let's not even talk about how red and black gel food colors don't actually turn royal icing into those colors...Betty Crocker Cookie Frosting to the rescue!) They were well appreciated!

On Sunday, I was too exhausted to do my normal walk, so I caught up on the laundry while I blocked my shawl. Here is the completed shawl:

Lacy in the Sky with Diamonds Shawl and me

and the edging detail:

Lacy in the Sky with Diamonds Shawl, edging

I declared the shawl done on Monday 4/29, when I took it off of the blocking pads. Love this shawl so much!!

While the shawl was drying, I finished burying all of the threads for the Caterwauling quilt. No new picture as it still looks like the last picture, just neater on the back.  It's done!

Now I need to go through my WIPs and find two to bring into rotation. I think they'll probably be spinning WIPs as I haven't done much of that lately.

Happy dance!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...