Friday, July 05, 2013

F.O. (instead of Eye Candy) Firday

...it's been way too hot for the plants. Photographs of wilting leaves are just not attractive!

I spent the holiday plying my singles. It was hot and icky at home (read: no air conditioning). I had the fans going all day, but it was still pretty bad.

Tour de Fleece Day 5:
Spun the last one-ounce Wheel of Fortune batt (more below)

Tour de Fleece Day 6:  Plying day.

Plied the purple Wheel of Fortune singles with light purple 6/0 beads and pink sequins strung on variegated purple quilting thread. It was a time-consuming process to pre-string all those beads and sequins and I still didn't string nearly enough. I ending up have to string a bunch more. Plying this yarn took most of the day.

Purple Fortune handspun:

Purple Fortune handspun

and the close-up

Purple Fortune handspun, close up

Specs:
Started 7/2/13;
Finished 7/4/13;
Red and Gold Wheel of Fortune batt (1 oz);
Plied with beads and sequins strung on variegated quilting thread;
100.5 yds 13 WPI

By the time I finished the purple, I was ready for some simple plying!  I hadn't determined how to ply the brown singles yet, so i just did a simple chain-ply. I think it was the right choice for this handspun as it did not have a lot of sparkle and was not as easy to spin smoothly. Chain-plying evened out the yarn.  I named it Earth:

Earth handspun

and the close up:

Earth handspun, close up

Specs:
Started 7/3/13;
Finished 7/4/13;
Red and Brown Wheel of Fortune batt (1 oz);
Chain-ply 46.5 yds 11 WPI

I plied the red singles with metallic thread and called it a day.  This is  my Red Fortune handspun:

Red Fortune handspun

and the close up:

Red Fortune handspun, close up

Specs:
Started 7/2/13;
Finished 7/4/13;
Red-Gold Wheel of Fortune batt (1 oz);
Plied with gold Sulky thread
102.3 yds 13 WPI

By the time I finished plying the yarns and taking pictures, I was exhausted.

One thing I noticed with my pictures above is that my laptop at home displays the images very differently that on my office monitor. These picture have an odd green or blue cast to them that I do not see on my home laptop.  I need to investigate how to fix that because I don't like the way it looks.

Up this weekend: More spinning! Now that I have finished all of the one-ounce Wheel of Fortune batts, I'm going to spin a one-ounce Greenwood Fiberworks batt. It's a gorgeous Merino-silk with purple and teal. I've been looking forward to spinning it.

I'll also spend some time working on the baby quilt and the woven shawl. They both need some quality time!
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...sky-style. Mom's house has a great view out of the back yard. It is not unusual to see a layer of fog in the morning. Headin...