Monday, July 22, 2013

Tour de Fleece 2013 is over...

... and there was much rejoicing!  I met my goals and I'm very happy. The only bummer is that my vacation is also over and it was back to work today.

Day 22:
I made a 2-ply handspun from the Wild and Natural singles, using the yarn cake method. Cake plying = wind the singles into a center-pull cake. Ply using both ends of the singles. It gets a little twisted up along the way, but it's worth a little extra untangling to have the plies come out even.

This is Wild and Natural:

Wild and Natural handspun

and the close up:

Wild and Natural handspun, close up
Specs:
Started 7/19/13;
Finished 7/20/13;
Natural Dyes Wild Card #5018 (3.7 oz) from Yarn Wench;
2-ply from a yarn cake; 
93 yds, 11 WPI

Day 23: Last batt; last spin.

I core-spun and used auto-wrapping for the last batt on my list. I had a few problems with this one and it is extremely energized. I'm going to wash it and hang a weight on it to see if I can get some of that twist out. If that doesn't work, I'll run it through the wheel in the opposite direction and see if that does the trick.

This is Carnaval:

Carnaval handspun

and the close up:

Carnaval handspun, close up

Specs:
Started and finished 7/21/13;
Wild Card 4931 batt (4.2 oz) from Yarn Wench;
Core-spun, auto-wrapped with variegated rayon thread;
74.4 yds , bulky

Tour Recap:
  • I started with 14 batts—a total of 29.4 ounces of fiber.
  • I tried art yarn for the first time, learning about core-spinning, auto-wrapping, and working with locks along the way.
  • I ended with 18 skeins of handspun—a total of 1,332.3 yards
Here's the final collage. Note that it is missing one handspun as Flickr and I were fighting a lot over the last week. (One evening, it decided not to play with Ribbet or work from my bookmark. I had to access it through yahoo.com before I could upload my photos....grrr.)

Tour de Fleece 2013,  c'est fini

Other:

In addition to all of the spinning, I have been quilting and weaving. I am machine-quilting the baby quilt and it is 75% done. I finished weaving the shawl and took it off the loom Saturday. I washed it yesterday and it is ready for the fringe treatment

My poor Southern Skies shawl has been getting very little play, but I'll get back to that this week. I'm on round 129 of 158...only 29 round to go before the edging!

Hmmm, guess need to start thinking about an edging. I could do the same one as Celestarium. But, then again, I hate doing the same thing twice!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...