Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Weekend report...

...Pacific International Quilt Festival (PIQF) and Spin-In in one day--it doesn't get much better than that!

I spent two and a half hours at PIQF and was blown away by many of the quilts.  It has to be said: I really don't like the more traditional quilt. While I appreciate the work that goes into each one and I can admire the techniques used, I just not a fan of Baltimore Album, Double Wedding Ring, or Flower Basket quilts. I prefer the more geometric, story-based, and art quilt styles. So I went through the entire show and did a little shopping in that two and a half hours.

So what caught my eye? Here are some examples; you can see more pictures in my PIQF set at Flickr.

Breakers by Sheena Norquay (Scotand): I was fascinated by the little bird feet in this panel.

Detail #2 of Breakers quilt

Blue Moon in the Milky Way by Karen Van Dargriff (Apple Valley, CA): Loved the stars!

Detail of Blue Moon in the Milky Way

Spirit by Georgia Pierce (Seattle, WA): Love the Pacific Northwest images and the quilting on this one.

Spirit quilt

Cosmos by Sandy L. Clark (Fresno, CA): Love the center with the crystals.

Detail of Cosmos

The Magical Mermaid's Castle by Claudia Pfeil: The most spectacular quilt of the show IMHO.

Magical Mermaid's Castle quilt

the back was amazing:

Back of Magical Mermaid's Castle

and here's one of the detail shots I took:

Detail #2 of Magical Mermaid's Castle

This quilter had another quilt in the show that was also gorgeous (Turtle Bay in my PIQF set). The entire show was inspiring!

After PIQF, I went home to get my wheel and headed off to Spin-In. I managed to finish another third of Windsor Denim and Chocolate [Ravelry], a merino-tencel from Royale Hare.

After I got home, it was making dinner and doing a little cross stitch. It was a very full craft day!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...