Friday, November 22, 2013

Eye Candy Friday and running headlong into Thanksgiving...

...we'd trying to get the house together for our dinner guests on Thursday. Part of "getting ready" included replacing some dead flowers in the courtyard and cleaning up the backyard. Not that we think that anyone will want to hang out in the backyard because it's been a little cold. However, it might be nice if it didn't look like the lawn was taking over the world!.

The Husband bought some replacement plants for the couryard. We have some bacopa flowers that will bloom for a while:

Bacopa bud

Some salvia:

Salvia

and more salvia:

Salvia #2

The jade plant had decided to help by flowering as well:

Flowers on a jade plant

Up this weekend: Turkey Day preparation!  We have added 3 more relatives to the guest list and we're now up to 12 for dinner. It's a good thing I went ahead and bought 12 napkins, napkin rings, plates, etc.! We're very happy about it, though. It's the first time we've been able to have these relatives over for dinner, so it's very cool.

 I have a mile-long shopping list, most of which needs to be purchased on Tuesday or Wednesday. I've taken Wednesday off so I can cook as much ahead as possible.  Once I found out how many people we're having, I cruised the ads to find the least expensive 20+ pound turkey. Score 1 for Nob Hill! $14.99 if you bought $25 worth of groceries. Yup, a no-brainer! 

Since it's going to take a few days for it to thaw and I need it thawed by Wednesday so I can dry-brine it overnight, I went to Nob Hill last night. Mr. Turkey is now in the refrigerator doing his thing.  I bought a lot of the staples I need for the dinner and the makings for cranberry sauce. I always make the cranberry sauce the weekend before Thanksgiving so the flavors meld properly.

Most of the weekend will be spent cleaning--putting away craft items that have migrated to the living room, dusting, vacuuming, and mopping all of the floors. I'll have to mop the kitchen again, but at least I'll start with a clean floor!

I also need to wash all of the plates, glasses, and silverware that we'll use for dinner. My goal is to get as much done on the weekend, so Wednesday is all about cooking and putting the final touches on the house.

As long as the food is great, the rest of it will fall into place. Of course, I might get a little frazzled around the edges, but that's why there's champagne, right?
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...