Wednesday, December 10, 2014

WIP-it Wednesday, holiday style...

...and by that I mean that I'm not working on crafts for any extended period of time. A little here...a little there...that's it! The biggest WIPs are the Christmas decorations and the baking.

I spent some time this morning trimming some loose branches at the bottom of the Christmas tree so I could look underneath to see where the stand is leaking. I didn't see any visible leaks, so I decided to mop up any remaining water and carefully dry the stand. Then I puttied all of the fastener holes to make them more water-tight. I carefully added more water to the stand and so far, it seems to be holding. I'll check it tonight to see if it held through the day. If it did, we're ready to hang ornaments.

Over the years, I've discovered I can do most of the baking during the weekends so I don't have to try and bake after work. That gives me a little time to rest and do other things.

Doing all the baking in 5 or 6 days means that I have to be very organized in the kitchen. I've developed mise en place that works for me and assembly-line techniques to make things go quicker. And having multiple mixing bowls, mixing paddles, spatulas, measuring spoons and cups, cookie sheets, and cookie storage containers keeps me from having to wash things after every batch.

After last weekend, my feet and legs were really hurting from all that standing. In past years, this has been a small issue, but never as bad as this year. Part of the problem is that I hate shoes, so I run around barefoot at home. In the winter, I wear socks. I've tried wearing my walking shoes (and other shoes) while I bake, but my back bugs me more that way. So, the Husband went to Home Dept and bought me an anti-fatigue mat that I'm going to try this weekend. I hope that will help, otherwise he'll have to get me  a foot massage for Christmas!

WIP Roll Call

WIPs in Rotation:

  • Be My Baby for My Baby (knitting) [Ravelry]
    Working on the thumb hole for the first sleeve
  • Stealth project
    Slow progress
WIPs, no play this week:
  1. Ghouls, ghosts, and witches...oh, my! (cross stitch)
  2. Halloween Phat Fiber samples (spinning) [Ravelry
  3. I'm Just Mad About Citron Quilt (quilting)
  4. Loopy Mittens (was Raspberry Mittens) [Ravelry]
  5. Mermaid of the Pearls (cross stitch)
  6. Tucson Twilight (needlepoint)
UFOs/Hibernation:
  1. Beyond Antares, aka Equatorial Nights (knitting) [Ravelry]
  2. Celaeno Shawl (knitting) [Ravelry]
  3. Going Snow Global quilt (quilting)
  4. Peacock Pomatomus socks (knitting) [Ravelry]
  5. Peacock Majesty by Just Nan (cross stitch)
WIPs To Be:
  • A peacock or mermaid quilt for me.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

...a little of this, a little of that.  No photos this week. Things look pretty much the same. WIPs Roll Call Worked On: Dreaming ...