Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Tour de Fleece update and Top-of-the-Waves Tuesday...

...I love vacation!

Tour de Fleece, days 14 and 15:

As planned, I spun an art yarn. I spun the single easily on day 14, but realized that I did not have the color of thread that I wanted to use as a ply.  So on day 15, I took a field trip to Purlescence Yarns.

I'm sad that they will be closing at the end of August. In addition to looking for a plying option, I wanted to buy some bobbins for my shuttles and just scope out what they had. I found my bobbins and found a gold mercerized cotton that might work for plying.

Since I was out already, I stopped at Eddie's Quilting Bee to check out their specialty threads. I found some great quilting threads to use for plying--I bought 4 spools! I used two of them to finish the art yarn.

This is King Tut [Ravelry]:

King Tut handspun

and the close-up:

King Tut handspun, close up

Specs:
Started 7/15/16
Finished 7/16/16
Tut Wild Card Bling Batt from the Yarn Wench
91.2 yds thread-plied
  • King Tut quilting thread in Nile Delta
  • Superior Metallic thread in Jade
Bulky weight

Tour de Fleece, days 16 and 17:

I did a little stash dive and found some top that I purchased in 2009. This is Taos [Ravelry]:

Taos handspun

and the close-up:

Taos handspun, close-up

Specs:
Started 7/17/16
Finished 7/18/16
Merino top (4.1 oz) from The Yarn Wench
122.8 yds. chain-ply, 10 WPI

Tour de Fleece, day 18:

I realized that Tour de Fleece is over on Sunday, so I didn't have much more time to finish the Surprise Box handspun that I started during the first week of the Tour. I spent today finishing the singles for this handspun. I started chain-plying it and had to stop because my knee was bugging me. I'll finish plying tomorrow.

And the rest:
  • I took a few photos of some fiber stash that wasn't in Ravelry yet. I added those to Ravelry yesterday. I know there are many fiber stash items that are not in Ravely yet, but I don;t want to spend the rest of my vacation doing that!
  • I cooked myself a real dinner last night instead of just grabbing something from the fridge. The leftovers will be dinner tonight!
  • The Husband comes home tomorrow night, so I'm going to enjoy my last night of a clean house and quiet time. 

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...