Monday, May 04, 2009

spinning a yarn...

...doesn't always work the way you think it should. I thought that the Watermelon Rind yarn was going to look cool with one ply mostly green and the other mostly pink. So I was not happy when I got this:

Failed 2-ply Watermelon Rind yarn

It's OK, but not what I had in mind, The colors are muddied and although I spun the bobbins as randomly as I could, when I started to ply them, some of the greens plied together and some of the pinks plied together...Ha-rumpf!

As soon as I saw where this yarn was heading, I stopped plying. I decided that the best (and quickest) thing to do was to ply the two singles with a cream single. In my stash, I still had a large bump of Corriedale top from Woodland Woolworks (they generously gave me a large amount of "practice" fiber when I bought my wheel). I spun up about 3 ounces of the cream and let it sit overnight.

On Sunday, I tried plying the yarn again...success! I'm much happier with this yarn:

Watermelon Rind yarn

...and the close-up:

Watermelon Rind yarn, close up

Specs:
Started 4/22/09
Finished 5/3/09
Falkland top from the Yarn Wench plus 3 ounces Corriedale cream single
Spun and plied on Lendrum DT folding wheel
Yield: 283.6 yards 3-ply; 2+ yards of two-ply; 2+ yds Navajo-ply
WPI: 16

There was a little bit left on the mostly pink bobbin, so I Navajo-plied it:

Watermelon Rind yarn, remainder

I like this, too, but it's not enough to make something.

While I was waiting for the cream Corriedale single to set, I started spinning the Lisa Sousa batts I bought at Stitches West this year. The color is called "Purr-ple" and it is gorgeous:

Purr-ple Merino-Border Leicester wool

This is the first time I've spun from a batt and it feels a little strange. But I'm totally enjoying the experience and the color is yummy!

While spinning took up the majority of my weekend, I did get a little knitting done. Argosy continues to progress. Here's what it looks like now:

Argosy Scarf, still in progress

It's about 50 inches long and I've used a little more than 1.5 skeins of yarn. Can't wait for this one to be done!

1 comment:

Just Jane said...

your "recreation" looks like a pair of socks....nice!

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...