Tuesday, January 31, 2012

ending the month with 2 F.O.s...

...it was an interesting month, craft-wise. After the flurry at Christmas, it took me a while to get into the crafting mind-set. Must have been tired, or something. :)

Here is the baby blanket that I finished in time for the baby shower on Saturday:

Woven Baby Blanket

and a closer look:
Woven Baby Blanket, closer look

Specs:
Baby Blanket for Colin (soon-to-be son of our nephew and his wife)
Started 1/15/12;
Finished 1/28/12;
10-dpi; 10 epi;
Warped to 106 inches and cut in half. Sewed the two pieces together to make a blanket about 36 x 45 inches.
Edges bound in satin blanket binding.

There are a few things that I'd do differently next time.
  1. Allow more time to plan and finish the project. Doing the final bit of sewing at 11am when I had to leave for the baby shower at 12:30 was not enough!
  2. Mark a cut guide on the warp before winding it up so I can weave a gap at the approximate middle. If I had planned better (see #1 above) I would have done this and made my life a lot easier when it came time to cut the piece in two.
  3. Seriously consider some other method of binding, or at least figure out a better way to apply the satin blanket binding. What a P.I.T.A. it was! It was the main reason it took me so long to finish on Saturday morning.
The other finished object is the Lake Michigan yarn I started at Spin-In in December:

Lake Michigan handspun

and the close-up

Lake Michigan handspun, close up

Specs:
Lake Michigan Handspun
Started 12/3/11;
Finished 1/29/12;
Merino/Bamboo/Silk top from Miss Babs
232.6 yards Navajo-plied, 12WPI

I love the fiber from Miss Babs and plan on getting more at Stitches West. Can't wait for that!
.

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and things are blooming everywhere. Our front yard looks great: In the backyard, we have new petunias. Purple Night Sky: ...