Monday, July 15, 2013

Tour de Fleece 2013, Day 15 & 16...

...AKA vacation days 3 and 4.

Day 15 (Saturday):

I hosted our monthly Spin-In. I baked dark chocolate brownies and provided some cheese, crackers, and fruit. In between spinning for TdF, we helped another member work on her first quilt.

I spun the singles for two 2-ounce batts--one purple and one red-gray-black combo.  After I finished those two, I switched over to knitting Southern Skies. Because of TdF spinning, my progress is very slow on the shawl.

My prize from the Tour de Fleece prize drawing for Day 8 also arrived. I used the Caliope's Fibre gift certificate that I won to get two batts:

A 2.3-ounce layered pink batt (60% Merino, 18% Wensleydale, 12% BFL,  7% Rayon, and 3% Angelina):

Pink Layered Batt

and a 2.4-ounce layered green batt (40% Alpaca, 30% Fake Cashmere, 20% Rayon, 10% Merino):

Green Layered batt

As a bonus, she included some bicycle stitch markers:

Bicycle stitch markers

All in all, a truly great prize!

Day 16 (Sunday):

It was Hallmark Ornament Preview Weekend, which always falls during TdF.  I needed to get the Star Trek ornament for 2013, right? (Just agree with me; it's easier that way.) I got a few ornaments and put my name down for one that was out of stock already.

My next stop was Eddie's Quilting Bee. I'm almost ready to sandwich the baby quilt and I needed backing fabric. I found one that will work nicely. I also bought some red metallic thread for plying with the red-gray-black singles.

When I got home I started plying. Here is the Get Back Red Black handspun:

Get Back Red-Black handspun

and a close up:

Get Back Red-Black handspun, close up

Specs:
Started 7/13/13;
Finished 7/14/13;
Red-Black Crazy batt (2 oz) from Faerie Mountain Fibers singles plied with YLI red metallic cord;
74.4 yds 9 WPI

This is Crazy Purple handspun:

Crazy Purple handspun

and the close up:

Crazy Purple handspun, close up

Specs:
Started 7/13/13;
Finished 7/14/13;
Purple Crazy batt (2 oz) from Tanglebella Fibers singles plied with purple rayon thread;
119.1 yds 10 WPI

I finished out the day by working on the quilt top and watching True Blood.

I love vacation!
.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...