Friday, March 24, 2006

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way?

...having work to do is a good thing, but it's heck on getting any blogging done!

Secret is coming along - I'm about ready to add skein #3, so I only have a skein and a half to go! On the other hand, the sock is going much slower - still haven't hit the point where I can start the heel.

I now have too many things scheduled during the week to get any large amounts of knitting and stitching done. Tues night is Pilates; Weds night I have a standing IM date with my friend Jane (Hi, Jane!); Thurs night is Yoga; and Fri night is for my husband. Monday night is the only night I can really just sit and knit for a couple of hours. Most of my crafty stuff is done on the weekends. (Of course, we won't talk about the sad state of my house right now! Is that a cat or a dustball?)

Knitting has been my highest priority lately. While I love cross stitch, I have been doing cross stitch projects (interspersed with the occasional quilt project) since I picked up my first kit in 1984. I have been going to cross stitch festivals every year since 1992.

Beginning last year, I started losing interest. Maybe it's because I saw how wonderful Stitches West was, compared to the mediocre (IMHO) Cross Stitch Festivals in Burbank and Santa Clara. Some charts and projects were still calling my name, but not nearly as many as in previous years, (I'm still a sucker for a Mirabilia mermaid, or any mermaid project for that matter!) Or maybe it's just time to give cross stitch a rest.

I made the decision not to go to the Cross Stitch Festival this year - the only one in the West is in Las Vegas. None of the classes thrill me and if the vendor list is any indication, it won't be worth the plane and hotel costs to go to the Festival for 2 hours of shopping. If I feel the need to fondle stitching supplies, I'll just take a field trip to Needle in a Haystack! I know I'll get back to it eventually, but for now I'll consider any work on cross stitch projects a bonus.

I really enjoy the knitting process - finding a project I like, yarn that feels and looks good, and watching something spring to life in my hands. Making something I can wear or use is very satisfying. I have two knitted afghans on my couch that get nightly use, a pair of socks that are toasty, and several scarves I can wear with my coats. My mind is full of potential projects and color combinations.

I'm still struggling with the spinning process, but I'm determined that I'll figure it out. I did break down and buy a "training" spindle - Cascade's Little Si - and that seems to be going better. I love my Maggie spindle, but I think I need to get the process down before graduating to her!

I'm looking forward to spending some time knitting and spinning this weekend. Hopefully, I'll have some pictures on Monday.

(...guess I had a bit on my mind! LOL!)

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and things are blooming everywhere. Our front yard looks great: In the backyard, we have new petunias. Purple Night Sky: ...