Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Long weekends are never long enough...

...but then, neither are vacations!

Lately, I've had a lot of ideas floating in my head about things to make and things I want to do. (I really think I need a sabbatical, but that's not going to happen!) I had an idea for a new sock knitting bag, but there were a couple of things I had to work out first.


While I thought through these design issues, I made a few more stitch markers. (I know, how many more do I need!) I found these cute crochet-covered beads that just cried out to be stitch markers. And I just thought the other beads were pretty.


Then I worked on my knitting bag prototype. I wanted to make a bag that would keep two balls of yarn separated when knitting two socks at once on two circulars, and keep things from getting as tangled up.

First, I tried using pattern paper for the prototype. After putting a paper one together with pins and scotch tape, I quickly discarded a couple of ideas that didn't work. I also discovered that I really couldn't get the "feel" of it using paper.


Since I had a whole bunch of red and black fabric that I wasn't using for my red and black quilt, I decided to use it for my prototype. I made a quick trip to Joann's to get a few notions and went to work.

After a few mistakes in scale (whoops!), I finally came up with a decent prototype bag. I'm calling it the "Knit2 bag." Here's the outside (looks like a simple drawstring bag, right?):


It has a round, flat bottom so it will sit easily on a flat surface. The inside has a separator to keep the yarn separated and two loops to feed the yarn to the needles. Here's a picture with my Calla Lily sock yarn inside (No, they are still not done...stockinette + big feet = boring!)

Before I make the next version, I'm going to use the prototype with the Calla Lily socks to see what needs to change. I already know that I want to change how I'm attaching the separator, plus add a handle and maybe an extra snap. It will evolve a bit more, but I'm happy with the size and the positioning of the drawstring.

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...