Monday, June 15, 2009

Falling under the spell called weaving...

...poor Sirena is still sitting under her cover...I did absolutely no spinning over the weekend!

I finished weaving the silk wrap Friday night. My intention was to fringe and wash it Saturday morning so I'd have the afternoon for spinning. Well, the fringing took forever! After working with the silk chenille yarn and looking at chenille throws that we have on the couch, I decided that regular straight fringe was not the way to go. Chenille fringe loves to tangle and twist itself up into a big glob. I did not want that to happen to this shawl!

I went with a knotted fringe that took about 3 times as long to tie. [sigh] But I'm glad I did, because after a gentle washing, the remaining ends had twisted together and needed de-tangling. Before I knew it, most of Saturday was gone. However, I think the shawl turned out great...the length is perfect and the width is just right.

Woven Silk Shawl

Specs:
Started: 6/7/09
Finished 6/13/09

Finished size: 82" L (including fringe) x 15.5" W
Hand-dyed Silk and Silk Chenille yarns from Sweaterkits
Loom: Ashford 20" KL
7.5epi; 8 ppi

Sunday was errand day. But the loom still called to me, so I warped it for another shawl, this time a merino-silk yarn from Brooks Farm. It will be for my mother-in-law...I'm feeling good enough about this process to make something for someone else!

As for Sirena, she will get out this coming Saturday when I take her to the spin-in...the loom cannot go. (LOL!)

Oh, and the apricots are a couple of days away from ready! (I've already tried a couple. HA!) Here's a picture of some with the shawl:

Woven Silk Shawl  with apricots

1 comment:

Just Jane said...

YOU'RE UNREAL.....YOU KNOW THAT DON'T YOU!!! THAT SHAWL LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING THAT WAS DONE BY A MACHINE, OR A "PROFESSIONAL WHO'S BEEN AT THE LOOM FOR YEARS"....BUT ALAS, I'D ESPCECT NOTHING LESS FROM YOU!!! AWESOME!!

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...