Monday, October 05, 2009

no picture Monday, again...

...there is nothing significant to show you and I'm sure you're getting tired of garden shots! Which is not to say that I didn;t works on anything over the weekend.

I went to Eddie's Quilting Bee in search of thread for the Paint It Red quilt and I found something that I thought would be perfect: a variegated thread in shades of red, with the darkest shade being very close to black. I also picked up a metallic silver with the thought of adding some metallic touches here and there.

Well, I didn't like either one of them. The variegated one looked really good on the red fabrics and pretty awful on the black fabrics. The silver didn't look good on either...too much contrast. I went to plan B: I'm using a smoke colored "invisible" thread for the top and red for the back. I did stitch-in-the-ditch quilting around all of the blocks and in the seams of the borders. I still have to quilt around the center squares of each block and add the binding. Maybe next weekend.

I also stitched several hours on the Queen Mermaid's tail. I finished one half and am working on the second half. The tail is tedious work because of the huge color expanses. (The longest row I've done so far is 35 stitches in DMC 5022, blue-green...) Anyway, I'll be glad to finish up the tail and get back to the upper body.

After finishing coaster #2 on the loom, I decided I'd had enough of that project. It wasn't making me happy and it was time to call it "done." I do have two coasters, but they are not anything to write home about. I've put the loom away while I search for a warp yarn for the next project.

I've broken through the knitting block and cast-on a pair of socks for Socktoberfest! I am using the Sanguine Gryphon Bugga! yarn I got in the July 2009 installment of Loopy Eye sock club. I am not using the club pattern because it is a toe-up pattern...just couldn't face another toe-up right now!  Instead, I am using the Dahlia pattern from the Sundara Petals Collection club [Ravelry]. It has a similar feel to the Loopy Ewe club pattern, so I think it's a good choice.

This week is going to be a zoo at work, so I'll post when I can!

1 comment:

Just Jane said...

Nice color!!!! I'm gonna pull my hair out with computer problems they are driving me nuts...will be at least 4-5 weeks before I get my regular computer back, and this ANTIQUE computer is making me batty! I have to struggle with each attempt to do anything...how fun....to wait about 3-4 minutes for a simple program to load??? It's a wonder people got any work done "back then"...haven't twisted Gordon's arm enough to consider a new one which we totally cannot afford! Cold...31 this morning!

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...