Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Back from Baltimore with a few things to report

...it was a fast, but good trip.

Baltimore was great! We spent Sunday exploring different neighborhoods and generally checking out potential places to live -- we really just wanted to see if it would be a city that she could live in for 3 or 4 years.

On Monday, we spent the day at the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University. After our touring around on Sunday, my daughter was 99% sure she would accept the Hopkins offer, but by the end of the day's sessions, she signed her acceptance letter. Everyone, from professors to current students, was friendly and made sure that all of her questions were answered. Each presentation (and speaker) was good and contained lots of information. I was very impressed with everyone I met and with the school itself. I'll miss having her on the West coast, but I know she learn lots and have more opportunities by attending Johns Hopkins.

I did manage to get some knitting done, not as much as I wanted, but there's still progress to report. Here's a current picture of the Cedar Creek sock:



The color is pooling a little, but I am getting a striping effect, so I'm OK with it. I love the colors and I've got the pattern memorized. I have another inch or so and then I can work on the heel.

Also, my secret project found its way to its new owner. So now I can reveal it in all of her glory (and at her new home):



"Secret" is an an Ohm (or healing) shawl I made for my friend Jane's birthday. She had mentioned that she wanted a shawl to help keep her warm. Without going into details, she has some neck and hip issues and I felt that she needed something to help her through rough or stressful times, and to just give her a boost whenever she wanted one. The shawl pattern is based on the Shawl Ministry and Lion Brand patterns. While I'm not a religious person, I do believe that there is power in sending healing and positive thoughts, so I knit this shawl with that in mind. I'm very happy with the way it turned out and Jane loves it!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...