Saturday, May 05, 2007

introducing Sirena...

Sirena
Sirena is Spanish (and Latin and Greek) for siren and can also mean "mermaid." The "siren" is particularly true because every time I look at her, I hear the siren's call of spinning.

I spent the good part of today learning about my wheel and spinning my first yarn. It took me a while to get the hang of drafting for the wheel. I tried drafting with each hand and figured out which one worked best for me.

Here is my first bobbin of yarn. I used the Corriedale combed wool top that Woodland Woolworks included in my shipment. I decided not to fill the bobbin completely because I wanted to try the plying flyer and I knew that some of the yarn was a little loose.

First bobbin of yarn
I had no problems treadling clockwise to spin the yarn, but had some trouble treadling counter-clockwise when I was plying. As I suspected, some of the early yarn was too loose and came apart. But I managed to get 10 yards of two-ply yarn. Here it is before it's bath:

First plied yarn
It's drying now and I'm taking a little break to do laundry and other mundane things.

Sirena is sitting by the sofa, and I already hear her calling...oh, boy, I'm in big trouble!

No comments:

Eye Candy Friday...

 ...and the garden is going full blast! I love this time of year! Our perennials are starting to bloom. The blazing Sunset geum that we...