Friday, June 22, 2007

echoes from the Valley of Heart's Delight...

...for Eye Candy Friday, I give you nearly ripe Blenheim apricots:

Nearly ripe Blenheim apricots
I love having this tree in our yard. Not only for the fruit, which tastes better than any store-bought apricot ever could, but for the memories it invokes. Looking at this tree is both heart-warming and heart-breaking.

I've spent most of my life in the Santa Clara Valley; it was called Valley of the Heart's Delight before it became known as Silicon Valley. I lived in San Benito county for the first six years of my life and then moved to Gilroy. We often drove to San Jose to visit relatives, and sometimes my dad would let us tag along to San Francisco when he took his boss to the airport. What I remember most about those trips were the miles and miles of orchards that we saw along the way—walnuts, almonds, prunes, cherries, and of course, apricots. Row after row of trees, with green leaves and fruit hanging from their limbs.


Apricot tree
My grandmother lived in Hollister next to an apricot orchard. We loved visiting her right before the harvest because we could sit in the trees and eat as many apricots as we could stuff in our mouths before getting caught! Once harvest started and the owners were on site, no more apricots for us! (I fully believe that this is why I don't like overly ripe fruit...too many years of eating not-quite-ripe apricots!)

My Tia Mary also lived next to an apricot orchard. At her place, we got to see the workers splitting, pitting, and prepping the apricots for drying. I was always fascinated by the knives that they used to cut open the apricots. Of course, my mother would never let us "help," but we could watch as long as we didn't get in the way. If it was late enough in the season, there were always a few already-dried apricots to sample.


Sadly, we had to move away from the valley when my father became ill (I think I was about 9). We still visited my grandmother and other relatives, but not as often as when we lived closer. The timing wasn't always right for the apricots, but it was still a joy to see all those trees.

I didn't move back to Santa Clara Valley until I graduated from high school and went to San Jose State. In the eight years I was gone, things had changed. Many orchards had been replaced by housing developments and many more were planned. The rows and rows of trees were being replaced by rows and rows of houses. Some of the landmarks were still there, like the radio towers on the edge of San Jose and the hangars at Moffett Field, but everything else looked different. There were still orchards, but not as many.

When I married and moved to Sunnyvale in the 70s, I was delighted to find an oasis of cherry trees nearby. The CJ Olson orchards were just up the street. I loved seeing these trees bloom and the fruit turning red as harvest time approached. I look forward to cherry season every year—these are the best cherries! Over the years, the family has had to sell most of their land and much of their orchards have been replaced by shopping centers.

All over the valley, the same thing has happened: agriculture has given way to housing and shopping. Yes, change is inevitable and can be good. But I miss the green valley and fruit fresh from the trees.

And the orchard next to my grandmother's house? After she died, we heard that the property owner was planning on selling the land. I haven't been back because I don't want to see what has replaced all those beautiful trees. Some things are best kept as memories.

More apricots

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...with a Finished Object. Every April 1st, we turn off our furnace to help save energy and keep our PG&E bill down. This year, w...