Monday, November 17, 2008

the kitchen that ate our weekend...

...sort of. The Husband spent most of his weekend dealing with cabinet doors and painting. I went through the stuff in the cabinets and flagged some things for Goodwill and others for trash or recycle.

After The Husband finished painting the cabinet doors and the walls, cabinet fronts looked really bad. We haven't ever repainted them (again, waiting for that remodel that's not happening) and the red paint was started to chip away. Yes, I said "red." Until this weekend, my kitchen was red, white, and black—red cabinet fronts with the rest white, and a black-and-white tiled floor. It was great for a while, but we were ready for a change.

One option was to go completely white, but as I've mentioned, it gets really bright in the kitchen in the morning. All white would be blinding. We decided that a new color was in order and we went for a color more on the cool end of the spectrum:

new kitchen color

Note our fabulous particle board cabinet doors...they used only the best materials when they built our house. LOL! (Note: this picture is taken at an angle; the doors are not crooked.)

Everything is painted now, but not quite put back together. The hinges were in really bad shape and many of the screws were stripped. The Husband is replacing all of the hinges (all 36 of them), quite a time-consuming task!

So my refrigerator is still in the middle of the kitchen and I have boxes and bags of stuff everywhere. Needless to say I couldn't cook anything, much less make any soap!

My new mixer arrived, way before I expected it. It is so pretty!

new KitchenAid mixer

The good news was that it came with a meat grinder, which was unexpected. The bad news was that my extra bowl for my old KitchenAid mixer does not fit on the new one. Rats! Since I really need two for baking, I went ahead and bought a second bowl. Now I'm set for Christmas baking...

I did get a little knitting done. I finished all of the Siamese cat pieces and did quite a bit of the seaming. I am nearly done knitting the little pink apron that it wears. But that was pretty much all I had time for.

Tonight, I'm hoping we can get more of the stuff put away so I can actually use the stove. I'm getting tired of take-out!

No comments:

WIP-it Wednesday...

 ...a little of this, a little of that. I needed to inject a little calmness, so I started another handspun. Here are the singles for ...